SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > General Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

HP Sucks Period!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 128 votes, 2.55 average. Display Modes

Old 04-06-2006, 01:33 AM
blue_tenshi Offline

HP Sucks Period!

I just want to warn everyone away from buying any kind of HP/Compaq notebook. It's really not the hardware themselves, but the tech support that ruin this company. When they maufactured my laptop, instead of putting my 512 memory card in the correct dimm, they put it in the wrong one. So now I can't upgrade my memory without going to Best Buy and paying extra. I have their so called "extended warrenty" plan that covers all manufacturing defects and they're telling me that it's not one. They built the stupid thing wrong! Sorry to rant on everyone. It does feel better. I'm running out of companies to buy computers from... Next time... I'm getting a Toshiba!

Old 04-06-2006, 04:17 AM
BrainGarbage Offline

Service and support from HP do indeed SUCK! I bought a lightscribe drive before christmas, had it for about two weeks and the drive door would not open. This was really bad considering I only used the drive to play one movie and burn two regular cds that I did not have the need to lightscribe. After getting the run-around on the HP site for over and hour I call one of the service numbers that explained to me that I would be charged for the support service. After much digging on the net I found another number at a non HP site that put me right through to HP's RMA dept. 1 week later I had a new drive, still it was a pain.
I have a few other complaints about HP, but will assume someone else might want to vent about them and leave the rest of HP's problems for them to complain about.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
jacambece Offline

I HATE HP...They are so bad, if i need a premade system i go with dell, with printers and scanners i go with epson, and PDA i go with sony...hp blows

Cambece

Old 04-29-2006, 05:20 PM
onespeedreed Offline

I had no luck with a HP scanner and printer. I doubt I would buy another product from them.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:00 PM
lperrozzi Offline

I agree HP's customer service really does suck....

Old 06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
akimine Offline

Thumbs down HP = Shoddy Products + Rotten Customer Service

Apologies in advance for the looooong post, but this is the story of my ongoing battle with HP's poor customer support.
It began June 2006, was (supposedly) resolved in August and is now reoccurring as of 2 days ago.
In June 06, I was forced to contact HP’s technical support when the hard drive in my laptop died. As my computer was less than 1 year old at the time, it still fell under the warranty. I thought this would be a simple thing to resolve, but what followed was perhaps one of the most excruciating tech service phone calls in history.
I spoke with the technician for at least an hour and a half while he sprinkled me with misinformation (telling me that HP could transfer the data from my defective drive to a new one for $199), put me on hold probably half a dozen times, and just flat out didn’t understand the issue. As I’d just lost an extensive amount of data, an uninformed service technician was a headache I did not need. He finally transferred me to another technician who told me that the original technician’s information was incorrect and scheduled me an appointment at the service center (sent me a box and everything).
But the story doesn’t end, as I made the mistake of calling again to try and get some information regarding my warranty. I just wanted to *see* the warranty, as in, read the actual text. Here I was greeted with another technician named “Charles,” who played the same game — give random information not related to the customer’s question, put the customer on hold, repeat random information, put the customer on hold again. I really got the feeling that he wasn’t just be uncooperative; he just didn’t understand English. I finally asked for Charles’ supervisor, and then did a dance to try and prevent me from speaking with his supervisor. “Is there a reason why you wish to speak with him? He won’t be available for a long time. I’ll have to put you on hold, and I don’t know when he’ll pick up.” Etc. I sat on hold for 5 minutes, before “Charles” picked up again, and asked if there was any more information he could give me. I told him he could give me the information to reach his supervisor. He put me back on hold. I think “Charles” was just waiting for me to hang up. A “supervisor” picked up (I’m still a bit suspicious) and told me that he couldn’t provide my warranty information and that I would have to call another number (which I am about to call). I explained to him the hoops I had to jump through just to speak with him, he offered a weak apology for it, and the call ended.
I mean, every time I go to their site, I see the little J.D. Power’s Award, and the claim that HP has the best customer service care on the planet, so I was expecting something stellar. But with two calls in just a few days, I just don’t see it, unless I somehow managed to find the two lumps of coal in the sea of diamonds that is HP’s Total Care service group.
Maybe the problem is that the award was issued in 2005. So too bad my computer broke down in *2006.*

In August 2006, after repeated phone calls and clicking on that little "Send an Email to our CEO" button on their website, I was finally referred to their Senior Case Manager line. This line is actually headquartered in the US (thank God), and my case rep Michelle(?), who was considerably more useful, provided me the information to *finally* get my RMA number for a repair.

Fast-forward to 2007...
As I stated before, I *eventually* got my hard drive repaired through HP in a dazzling two-month ordeal.
But lo and behold, almost *exactly* 1 year later, the hard drive dies again. Since I already had their HP Case Manager Escalation line and didn't feel like getting the runaround by outsourced customer service reps in India, I of coursed used it. After leaving a few messages, I got Jason on the line.
Jason had a ~lovely~ argumentative demeanor and droll monotone voice, and his commentary was riddled with frequent sighs and scoffing. He wasn't interested in helping so much as he was interested in how I got their senior Case Manager number.
When the ~lovely~ Jason asked why I was calling, I replied that since my hard drive had died recently, I wanted to give HP a call and see if I could get this resolved without having to deal with their (bumbling) technical support group. "Recently??" he exclaimed. "It was almost a year ago!"
I replied, "Yes, I consider that to be fairly recent."
(Honestly, should consumers expect to have to replace major system components because of failure every single year? Is that how their company does business?)
He scoffed audibly.
I'm seriously beginning to think that HP doesn't give these folks any training whatsoever. They certainly have no concept of service, making it a point to sound as annoyed as possible while filling out your case report.

It was fairly clear that Jason's entire purpose seemed to be to get me off the line any way he could. He told me I needed to call their Tech Support line so they could walk me through the issue. I told him (politely) I knew what the issue was because it was the exact same issue I'd had before. He told me I needed to call the laptop division of HP service, but when I asked the number, he didn't know what it was. He told me I could either call India and allow them to enter a case report, or (and he *really* sounded like he didn't want to do this), he could enter a report for me, but then I'd have to "wait 4 maybe 5 days before I'd hear back." I asked if he'd please get started on entering the case report and that's when he got really annoyed.
I listened to Jason mumble under his breath for the next 10 minutes while he typed away at his computer. Trust me, he had absolutely nothing nice to say, and I left the call feeling that precisely nothing is going to be done about this problem.
Figures.

I'm not really certain why HP feels its Customer Service is so stellar. They're sadly mistaken.

Incidentally, just call 1-877-917-4380 ext. 79 to talk to Jason.
Blow him a kiss for me.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:44 PM
akimine Offline

Thumbs down Incidentally...

Oh, and if you want to amuse yourself for moment, just google "HP sucks" and gaze upon the burgeoning sea of customer service complaints that flow forth. (That is, incidentally, how I found this forum.)

How can a company be so disappointingly non-self-aware?

Old 06-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Able Offline

You think that is bad. At least they don't have premium rate tech 'helpline' phonelines. Don't get me started on 'Time' computers. Good job they went bust!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 AM
rokkyofnh Offline

Find A Way To Stop Them!

As Americans if we allow ourselves to be treated like offal by these corporate tyranists then are we not also ready to accept tyranny as our form of government. Think about it. Injustice is injustice, and the more numb we become to it the more we'll allow it to pervade our society, before you know it our republic will be no more. WE need to stop the corporate oligarchy before it is too late!!! Demand to be respected by these irresponsible corporations, and they will listen. WE need to stop this crap!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 AM
rokkyofnh Offline

Hp Sucks Period Poor Corporate Citizen

Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
bookworm Offline
Sound Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkyofnh
Hp Sucks Period Poor Corporate Citizen

Ask any tech, IT teacher and all say exactly the same,I've been ranting on about them for years. There support site is a pain, like swimming in treacle to find info, and they are not upfront on what is installed. 2 are Toshiba and Packard Bell really good sites, and I should know, I visit them on a regular basis,I see HP and well I know I'm in a hunt to find what I need. I am glad that I am custom build, HD 5 year unlimited warranty, motherboard 3 year unlimited warranty need I go on. So stay well away from them is my advice.

Barbara MCP

Friends are
Gods apology
for relations.

It's not what you know, it's who you know ( especially the members of the Software Tips&Tricks Forum )

Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Disk_Contented Offline
Temporary Ban

funnily enough, even threads on this board show they are still selling well.
I prefer HP printers. They are mint.
Quality, not quantity.
Prevention is better than cure.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM
karson Offline

I've got a problem with HP. I have a notebok and yes my wife spilled coffee on the keyboard, but the computer ran for 4 months. Then 4-5 keys wouldn't work so I called HP and they said Send the computer back. I did and then they replied that it would cost 695.00 for the repairs because it was caused by the fluid spill. I told them to ship it back. I told them that was what I paid of the computer. Why would I pay the same to fix it.

When it arrived it wouldn't even turn on. Totally dead. I called tech support and talked to a supervisor and he was as good as dead. I asked him if the computer worked when it arrived and he couldn't answer, because I told him it worked when I sent it. He stated that he couldn't verify that. I told him that I pressed all of the keys when I was on with Tech Support and yes it was working. He stated no warranty on spilled items. I told him I wanted it returned back to the same condition as when I sent it. He stated that it was. What a bunch of crap.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 PM
karson Offline

I just want to say that HP sucks. See above post.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM
sattamander Offline

Hp Sucks Totally!

I made the mistake of buying an HP after 20 years of owning Dells. What a hell I fell into. Leet me make this perfectly clear, NEVER BUY AN HP OR COMPAQ. NEVER PERIOD! My Pavilion A1520y died less than 2 years into ownership with a bad motherboard that HP well new they had a problem with. Just check out the class action lawsuits against them. When I called Tech "support" (that's a joke, and a bad one at that) all I got was the old "monkey with a script" routine, you are out of warranty, you are out of warranty, you are out of warranty. When I ask for the person, Vivian's last name she said she didn't have one. Go figure that out! When I ask to be transferred to a manager she said there wasn't one. Nice job to have. HP doesn't care a damn about its customers and all this will lead to yet one more class action lawsuit. I told the rep that it wouldn't cost them a hundred bucks to fix my PC and buy them some good PR, she just repeated the same old line, you are out of service. Way do they even hire humans when they can just patch us thru to a recording that does the same thing?

Now you may ask why I was calling HP for help on a PC that was out of warranty. Good question but catch this. A friend of mine called them because he had the exact same problem, PC shutting down completely for no reason at all and out of warranty. He called the same 800 number and the person he got sent him a new PC stating they knew they had bad mother boards. Go figure that out! I told this to the rep and had her pull up his record. She told me his warranty was good til 2009! A flat out lie unless they up his warranty when they sent him the replacement. So it looks like there may be one person out at HP that has some brains and heart or maybe they just could do the math on the purchase date of my friends PC.

Bottom line, HP SUCKS! Dell will listen to you and you can even contact Micheal Dell thru email but HP doesn't have managers according to Vivian. Yeah right! Time to look up some corporate numbers and addresses. I really hate companies that refuse to deal with their problems in a positive way. HP won't be around for long with this attitude.