User Name
Password

Problem with sound in my profile

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 06-08-2005, 10:20 AM
josno Offline

Exclamation Problem with sound in my profile

Hi,

I've been having a problem with the sound in my Windows XP profile since the weekend. Every time I restart my machine, I get an error message when I try to play any sound, which says something about drivers (it differs from application to application). I can uninstall my sound card (Creative Soundblaster Live! Value) from the system device manager, reinstall the original Windows drivers for the card (or the drivers that came with the card) and the sound works perfectly, but as soon as I restart the machine or try to reinstall the latest drivers I lose the sound again. None of the other users of my pc have any problems on their profiles.

At about the same time I started getting this message occasionally when I boot up my profile:

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

(That's svchost.exe). I think it may happen in other profiles as well but I'm not sure. Wondering whether it's relevant...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 06-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Zephyr Offline

Thumbs up

When it says "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.", its usually a bug. I suggest you do a full system scan. In case you don't have an AV, try Kaspersky (30 days trial). Also use ms antispyware, adware(lavasoft) and trojan hunter. If this does not work, check out the stuff that starts in ure profile using msconfig.(Start;Run;msconfig;extreme right). Most probably its a worm that starts up when you enter your profile. Hope this helps

Old 06-13-2005, 05:42 AM
josno Offline

Thanks for your response. I ran an AVG scan, an Adaware scan and an MS Spyware scan, and they all turned up negative. The startup programs listed in msconfig are (as far as I can tell) all legit. I did think it might be something to do with the startup when I first got the problem, but I ran a diagnostic setup from msconfig and the problem still occurred (with the sound that is - I can't actually remember if svchost had a problem).

Old 07-18-2005, 02:25 AM
ajfish Offline

Need an answer to this one

Guys,
I am having this problem too. It started when some friends said to me that they had lost their sound on their PC. "I'll sort that, 2 minutes at the most!" And that is indeed all it took. I uninstalled the sound card, rebooted, re-installed the drivers when Windows finds the new hardware and left them to it. But then another phone call to the fair lady of the household revealed that "it's not working again Pandy, what's wrong now?". I followed the same procedure and it all worked. I just assumed that perhaps they had loaded some game or something and that had screwed things up. What became apparent was that the "Generic Host Processs for Win32" was appearing quite often when they rebooted. "Oh that always appears, we just click it off" (Where the word click may have been substituted by another word leading to the acronym FIO). Anyway, on further investigation and several hours now messing around with this, this is what happens.
Sound card not working.
Control Panel - Sounds shows no audio device available.
Control Panel - System - Hardware, I unisntall the sound card.
Reboot
System boots, finds new hardware and installs the AC97 sound driver.
Control Panel - Sounds now shows audio device.
Reboot and login as user
I do get the Windows welcome tune and all appears to be normal. So at this point the sound card is working. Then sometimes (and I don't know if this is significant) but the task bar where "Start" is, appears in grey. (You know, like a Win2K or Win98 machine) when normally this would be the XP blue/ Green graphics. I get the hour glass for what seems ages, probably a couple of minutes, before you can select anything from "Start".
I go to Control Panel - Sounds AND NO FLIPPIN AUDIO DEVICE is available!
So the symptoms of what I am seeing here is much the same as you chaps are seeing.
I spent a couple of hours installing updates on Sunday (17/7/05) from the Microsoft site but still the problem exists.
I have run Adaware and HijackThis but can't find anything that stands out that could be causing the problem.
Now I really do need your help, I am preceived by the family as being a bit of a computer Oracle - or was (I have worked in IT for 16 years), but I think they are thinking that I couldn't work a pencil sharpener at the moment with any degree of success. In fact if I hadn't fed their cat this weekend I think I really would be off their Christmas card list, so any help would be very greatly appreciated.
Email direct if you like....erh just HELP!

Andrew

Old 07-21-2005, 04:21 PM
josno Offline

I get *exactly* the same symptoms i.e. the looking like win98/2k interface occasionally etc as well as the others described in my above post. There must be a solution if we both have exactly the same problem...

Old 11-24-2005, 04:05 PM
mahdiislam Offline

Problem with sound

If it's only your profile then:
1. Go into User accounts (My Computer > Control Panel > User Accounts
2. Create a new account (call it 'temp' for sake of argument)
3. Copy all your files there (try to avoid your Application Data and Local Settings, although if you use Outlook, the Folders might save there, so be cautious
4. Delete your original account (say 'Mark')
5. Restart your computer
6. Create an account with the name of the original account (Mark)
7. Then copy the files back over

Sounds long winded (yeah, pun inteneded). Hope it works though.

Mahdi Islam

Old 08-17-2006, 10:55 PM
V1X3N Offline

Hi!! I found this on a google search. I'm having EXACTLY the same problem!! I get the whole Win2K look on Windows after the error.

Details:
Asus A9N32-SLI Deluxe mobo
AMD 4800+ CPU
2GB HyperX RAM
XFX GeForce 7900GTX video card
Dual Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10K drives
Audio is onboard - nVidia (AC97)
Windows XP SP2
All updates installed (no auto update)
All mobo drivers and sound system drivers appear to be the latest, and I haven't changed them. This has started within the last couple weeks.

I have turned off everything in startup except for the video card stuff. I just now turned off Steam and Yahoo. Don't know what those two would have to do with this...but one never knows. I'll post here what I find out about a fix (if I do find one).

I run full a/v and spyware scans every night, with updated software.

*Yikes* Sorry, I didn't realise I'd dredged up a thread from the past!!! If anyone knows of a fix for this situation, I could surely use it!!!

Last edited by V1X3N : 08-17-2006 at 11:01 PM.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:11 AM
ANZAC_ELITE Offline

@ V1X3N

Two ways to go about this, either sfc /scannow (Windows system file checker that replaces corrupt Windows system files) Pop your XP cd in the rom drive, cancel auto run, start > run > type in sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /, if not typed correctly it won't run) or a repair install of Windows. Not to be confused with recovery console btw, if you need info on a repair install post back.

Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE : 08-19-2006 at 04:15 AM.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:16 PM
V1X3N Offline

Hi Anzac!!!

Thanks for the reply. I have never used the sfc command. Something new to plaly with!!!

My experimentation has led me to think Xfire is causing the problems. As long as I don't run xfire, everything works fine. The puter has been up now for 24 hrs with everything running (even played some CoD2) without error. The only thing I didn't do this time was run Xfire. Go figure.....

Oh!! I also ran Spyware Doctor with an updated database and it found about 250 things. A couple were Trojans that have been successfully removed. Surprisingly, I had not set up SD to run automatically. I think I'll set that up to run at all times from now on. I thought I was being all pro-active and safe, only to find out I was being a fool!!! While I've repaired anything damaged, I'm still thinking the sfc command might be a good idea.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:34 PM
LPP Offline

had the same symptoms after doing a Ghost clone backup to my spare HD. Tried a few different things before i came accroess the X-fire suggestion - uninstalled it and problem solved!! Thanks x1x3n!
LPP

Old 01-08-2007, 09:07 PM
childress2 Offline

I am having a very similar type problem on my dell laptop. I dont know what xfire so i dont know how i would get rid of it. But basically, Ill boot up my computer and everything will work fine for awhile, then Ill get the "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" message then I lose sound. I usually hit debug which causes the explorer to reload usually. sometimes i see oldschool windows flashback. but its wierd becasuse if i have a prog open that uses sound it will continue to play sound untill closed (winamp for example) but if i reopen the program I cant get sound. further the speaker icon on in the tray when clicked says no audio device installed. Have we figured out what exactly causes this? I cant reinstall xp because the laptop was bought refurb with xp preloaded. :/

Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 PM
keatingmk Offline

Hi,

I was having the same problem, but i seem to have fixed it. Unfortunately I am not exactly sure what fixed it in the end. It was a combination of reinstalling the driver for the sound card and running ad aware over and over again until a full system scan still found nothing.

The following links may be helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391/en-us

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...tDown=false#AC

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
mike

Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM
newton465 Offline

Alrightly, so here's my little addition to this.

I've had the same, Win32 error, sound death, and classic windows 1 second flash back that others have had. I don't run x-Fire. I installed some MS Hotfixes that looked like they addressed an issue like this, but no luck there. Spyware, AV, and Hijack This scans have found nothing. I've even reformated (because I needed to before the problem came up) and it STILL is doing it.

The only thing I can think of might be the software for my G15 Keyboard. I'm not 100% sure, but this might have started happening right around the time I got it. Also I've wanted to try swapping in a new sound card. Currently I'm using my ASUS A8N's integrated sound, and since it stuck around after reformating, it makes me wonder if it's actually a hardware problem??

Any idea you have would be great appreciated!