SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Advice
User Name
Password

a great weekend project!!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.67 average. Display Modes

Old 06-09-2003, 10:33 PM
curtybob Offline
Cyber Hillbilly

a great weekend project!!

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1092/

this looks like a great idea for those of us who like living out in the boonies on gravel roads!!!

Old 06-10-2003, 12:57 AM
beeboy Offline

Thats quite a project! Maybe a little over-kill? I have two extra case fans - one bringing air in and the other exhausting out the back. I also run a smaller, inexpensive household air purifyer beside the pc. Stays pretty clean inside. Oh and btw, the cat is not allowed in the pc room.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:22 PM
curtybob Offline
Cyber Hillbilly

does your purifier do a decent job? never thought of that. overkill- yes, but some would say that the 8-- count 'em, 8 fans in my case is overkill as well! 2 80's in front (intake), 120 in door(intake blows on video card) 2 more 80's in back(exhaust for bottom half) then a plexiglass separator between motherboard half and power supply half. 2 120's in top set backwards from norm( intake) and a measley 80 in power supply reversed to exhaust. thinking about deleting the 80 in PS and making a vent for the 2 120's to blow through. and yes the case sounds like a Kirby vaccuum cleaner when it is on. But, everything is nice and cool, and no worries of a fan or 2 going out.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Nonnie Miss Offline

I think that I need another fan...but have no idea what to do. My case doesn't have any more free room. For now I keep a floor fan sitting behind me blowing on my tower. It has a fan but my room gets extremely warm in the summer. Any ideas?

Old 07-01-2003, 05:10 PM
LooseChippings Offline

Try drilling some 1/2 inch holes in the top of the casing, hot air rises so there will be no requirement for mechanical assistance to exhaust hot air.

On th air induction side simple cotton cloth filters on the outboard side of the induction fans should suffice (as long as they are regularly cleaned)

On the photo why have they designed all that filtration system and then left the case side open

Old 07-01-2003, 09:20 PM
curtybob Offline
Cyber Hillbilly

I have been using strips of gauze for filters. Seems to work nicely. As for the need for extra fans, You can put them anywhere there is a piece of flat metal large enough to make a hole for one. But, do as I say and not as I do. The extra fans are not necessarily needed as long as you don't overclock, or build your own computer, or add a bunch of performance hardware to your computer. If you bought a prebuilt computer from a large company, chances are that they have tested it to be fairly reliable in conditions far worse than what you will probably throw at it. If you do have a bunch of cool stuff, or you overclock, you may consider buying a case that can handle more airflow than what yours can. Switching all your current stuff over is usually pain free, and you can generally find decent cases (or at least a good knock off brand) for less than $50 bucks. Sometimes a lot less. If you go this route, make sure to see if they have the model you like without a power supply, as you have one that works, and this can save you some dough up front.

Old 07-19-2003, 05:09 PM
curtybob Offline
Cyber Hillbilly

Thanks to Beeboy for the purifier idea. I am using one now with great success, and an added benefit. When I took out my gauze filters, the fans are quieter. Case stays pretty clean. Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:37 AM
beeboy Offline

You are more than welcome curtybob. I'm glad its working good for you.

Old 07-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Nonnie Miss Offline

I don't know what overclocking IS so I must be fine ... well fine in the fan sense anyhow.

Boy you guys are putting ideas into my head... my wallet is cowering

Old 07-20-2003, 04:12 PM
curtybob Offline
Cyber Hillbilly

Save a little money, and go for it. But, don't let something as trivial as your PC put you out of house and home.

Overclocking- say you buy a computer with a 2.0 GHz processor. You have a decent motherboard that lets you tweak the settings, and get more MHz for no money. You set the front side bus to run at 105 (instead of 100) MHz, and effectively give yourself a 2.1 GHz processor. Now you are overclocking.

Processor speed is based on 2 things. FSB (front side bus) and the multiplier. stock FSB speeds are usually (depending on processor) 100,133, and recently 200 MHz. In the case of P4's, they are "quad pumped" to equal 400, 533, and 800. The multiplier is a hardware based variable, and is not easily changed. The FSB, however, can be changed depending on the BIOS your PC uses, and whether your PC manufacturer has locked it out.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 AM
Dude111 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy
Thats quite a project! Maybe a little over-kill?
Yes doesnt look very compact either!! (Takes alot of space)