Password

Upgrading Ram and Video Card on A Cicero Desktop Computer

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 01-05-2011, 05:25 AM
atoip Offline

Upgrading Ram and Video Card on A Cicero Desktop Computer

I have a Cicero Desktop Computer Model # SC4120 P4 1.60 GHZ 256MB RAM
Windows XP Home , SP1

And yes the model number and name are correct. I bought this back in 2002 I was told it was a clone of a well known brand model..which of course I forget. They changed company names to senix and now they do not offer any tech support, and I cant use crutial.com either as the manu isn't listed.

I would like to update the ram. However I cannot find this computer model number anywhere to point me in the right direction what kind of RAM I need to buy.

I would like to know if I can buy a 1 GIG , 2 GIGS, 3 GIGS or do I have to buy 2 seperate 256MB of Ram for this particular model? I want to upgrade as much RAM as the computer can take.

Also I would like to upgrade the graphic card as when I watch You Tube videos the sound doesn't match the people and the video is choppy. I would like to know what kind of graphic card to get, and do I just insert it in one of the PCI slots. Also how do I know if this computer has PCI Express and the other options that are better?

Also I would like to upgrade the graphic card as when I watch You Tube videos the sound doesn't match the people and the video is choppy. I would like to know what kind of graphic card to get, and do I just insert it in one of the PCI slots. Also how do I know if this computer has PCI Express and the other options that are better?
Hopefully someone can help!
Hopefully someone can help!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Digerati Offline

It seems you have posted this same question in several places as atoip and catpace. Note shotgun posting can lead to conflicting advice and confusing results.

It appears Cicero is now part of Median Computers, but I can find nothing of your model number at the US site. There are other Cicero models so I am guessing yours is not a US model - you have not posted your location to check their international sites. But it may just be too old.

That said, the advice you were given is sound. You should upgrade your XP SP1 to SP3. Remaining at SP1 puts you woefully exposed to security threats. You also need to determine more information about your computer, specifically the motherboard. Inspect the board for model numbers. Belarc Advisor may provide some more information. As mentioned on another site, your 2002 system is too old to support PCIe. It might support AGP, and will support PCI. AGP will give you more options so look for an AGP slot. It will look similar to this.

Here is my canned text on buying RAM. One of these might, if you are lucky, provide information on your system.
These popular RAM makers have auto-scanning and/or manual entry RAM wizards to help you determine which RAM is compatible with your motherboard. For manual entry, enter/select the PC or motherboard make and model number and the wizard will list compatible RAM.
Crucial - Memory Advisor
Corsair - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
GeIL - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Kingston - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
Mushkin - Advisor
OCZ - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Patriot - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
PNY - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
SuperTalent - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)
The following retailers have auto-scanners and manual wizards. They sell brand name and/or "house" brand (re-branded) RAM.
Newegg - Memory Configurator System Tool
MemoryStock - Upgrade Configurator
18004Memory Configurator
4AllMemory - Memory advisor (automatic and manual)
TigerDirect - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Finally, before adding any hardware, you must ensure your power supply can handle the additional load. My guess is you will need a new PSU too. Look on the PSU label for the specs.