Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Advice
User Name
Password

Thought of upgrading hardware

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Y2J Offline

Thought of upgrading hardware

So I recently had a thought of upgrading my hardware since it's very old and can't run most of the games.
Here are my stats.
Machine name: MICROSOF-1A64F6
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.090804-1456)
Language: Russian (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
System Model: MS-7142
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.4GHz
Memory: 768MB RAM (DDR SDRAM)
Page File: 1034MB used, 842MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Original idea is to buy a new CPU, new Motherboard and new RAM. Any thoughts on what to buy, how to buy and where to buy?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Digerati Offline

Quote:
Original idea is to buy a new CPU, new Motherboard and new RAM.
Any thoughts on what to buy, how to buy and where to buy?
That would certainly be a big upgrade - and one your current power supply likely will not support. So I would budget for a new PSU too. And since your current hard drive is likely an EIDE (PATA) drive - a near obsolete interface with limited, and on some of the newest motherboards, no support at all. So you will need to buy a new SATA hard drive too. And, of course, you need a DVD player to install Windows.

What type of Windows license do you have now? Understand ONLY full "retail" licenses are transferable to new computers (and a new motherboard is considered a new computer). Please note a common misunderstanding is some users assume they can use their old Windows license on a new computer, or with their upgraded motherboard. It is illegal to use an OEM/System Builders license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM", "OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". And most importantly, we, as users, agreed to the terms of the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) when we decided to continue to use the software on the original computer. And that makes it legally binding.

With that in mind, if you need to buy a new license I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives.

What to buy? I recommend selecting the CPU you want to use, then find a motherboard that supports it. I like Gigabyte boards, but also ASUS, Intel and MSI. Then look on the motherboard's webpage to find RAM that motherboard supports too. If buying a graphics card instead of using a motherboard with integrated graphics, buy that too. Then, after you have selected all your new hardware, determine your power requirements (we can help, but start with a good PSU Calculator), then select a 80 Plus certified PSU from a reputable maker - a PSU with plenty of headroom for future upgrades and strain free operations. And I recommend 8Gb of RAM for dual-channel motherboards, and 6Gb of RAM for triple channel. Either way, that will require a 64-bit operating system.

How to buy? I don't know. Credit card works for me. Most brick and mortar stores take cash too!

Where to buy? I don't know. You did not tell us where you live. But I buy from and recommend any of the following US sites (listed in alphabetical order):
B&H,
MWave,
Newegg (my preferred source), and
ZipZoomFly.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Y2J Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati
That would certainly be a big upgrade - and one your current power supply likely will not support. So I would budget for a new PSU too. And since your current hard drive is likely an EIDE (PATA) drive - a near obsolete interface with limited, and on some of the newest motherboards, no support at all. So you will need to buy a new SATA hard drive too. And, of course, you need a DVD player to install Windows.

What type of Windows license do you have now? Understand ONLY full "retail" licenses are transferable to new computers (and a new motherboard is considered a new computer). Please note a common misunderstanding is some users assume they can use their old Windows license on a new computer, or with their upgraded motherboard. It is illegal to use an OEM/System Builders license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM", "OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". And most importantly, we, as users, agreed to the terms of the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) when we decided to continue to use the software on the original computer. And that makes it legally binding.

With that in mind, if you need to buy a new license I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives.

What to buy? I recommend selecting the CPU you want to use, then find a motherboard that supports it. I like Gigabyte boards, but also ASUS, Intel and MSI. Then look on the motherboard's webpage to find RAM that motherboard supports too. If buying a graphics card instead of using a motherboard with integrated graphics, buy that too. Then, after you have selected all your new hardware, determine your power requirements (we can help, but start with a good PSU Calculator), then select a 80 Plus certified PSU from a reputable maker - a PSU with plenty of headroom for future upgrades and strain free operations. And I recommend 8Gb of RAM for dual-channel motherboards, and 6Gb of RAM for triple channel. Either way, that will require a 64-bit operating system.

How to buy? I don't know. Credit card works for me. Most brick and mortar stores take cash too!

Where to buy? I don't know. You did not tell us where you live. But I buy from and recommend any of the following US sites (listed in alphabetical order):
B&H,
MWave,
Newegg (my preferred source), and
ZipZoomFly.
Thanks a lot but basically if I'm planning to get those 4(including PSU) I can pick almost every Motherboard since it won't really make a difference and will fit, right?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Digerati Offline

Quote:
I can pick almost every Motherboard since it won't really make a difference and will fit, right?
Fit what?

ATX PSUs, ATX motherboards, and ATX cases are all compatible. But we don't know what case you have. And of course, you must pick a CPU and RAM supported by the motherboard.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 AM
Y2J Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati
Fit what?

ATX PSUs, ATX motherboards, and ATX cases are all compatible. But we don't know what case you have. And of course, you must pick a CPU and RAM supported by the motherboard.
I mean if I pick a CPU and RAM supported by the motherboard(and a PSU that will be good too) it'll work anyways. Like no mismatches and not working?