SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Problems
User Name
Password

PC Slow to boot up following installation of HP All in one device

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes

Old 12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Satfanni Offline

PC Slow to boot up following installation of HP All in one device

Hi Folks,

I need your help. I recently installed an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One (printer-scanner-copier). Ever since this installation my PC takes ages to boot up. When eventually windows loads the PC and HP3210 works fine with no problems. The PC also boots up speedily when the HP3210 is turned off or the USB cable is disconnected.

I have an Advent T9401 PC running with windows XP.

I disabled the Advent logo splash screen in the bios settings in order to establish at what point the system is stalling. It stalls for about 3 minutes with the following message "auto detecting usb mass storage devices". After about 3 minutes windows then loads normally.

It appears that the problem can be corrected by disabling the PC's ability to boot from usb mass storage devices (see advice given below in bold type from HP Support).

If a new BIOS version is not available that corrects the problem, disable the ability to boot from external Universal Serial Bus (USB) mass storage devices or change the device boot order in the BIOS. The computer manufacturer should assist you in checking or changing these settings in the BIOS. If you need to boot from a USB device in the future, change the settings back to their original values.

I have checked the Advent website for a new bios version for the T9401 but none is available. I am therefore trying to disable the PC's ability to boot from usb mass storage devices by tweaking the settings in the bios. I am however not sure how to do this for the Advent and would appreciate any help in doing this. Does anyone have an Advent T9401 and if so are they aware of how to adjust the bios settings as stated.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Regards.

Satfanni.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:13 AM
austin_o Offline

Go into the bios and look for the boot order/options settings. It may be in the advanced screens. Find the "boot from USB" option and remove the check mark, save settings and exit.

A real simple solution would be "don't turn on the printer until the computer has finished booting". From your post: The PC also boots up speedily when the HP3210 is turned off or the USB cable is disconnected.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Satfanni Offline

[quote=austin_o]Go into the bios and look for the boot order/options settings. It may be in the advanced screens. Find the "boot from USB" option and remove the check mark, save settings and exit.

Thanks for the reply austin.

I have looked at all the options in the bios menu including the advanced menu. There is however no option to "boot from USB"

Thanks anyway. Guess I'll just have to ensure that the printer is switched off at start up and on any required system reboots.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Xandan Offline

BIOS Screen hanging up

I had EXACTLY the same same problem with my USB printer. Slow boot (120 sec on bios screen) then windows loads fine.

When I unpluged the USB printer and everything is fine. In order to get the computer working normally with the printer plugged in I had to fix my bios settings.

Solution: In the BIOS under the ADVANCED tab look for USB CONFIGURATION. Disable Legacy Support. Once I did this everything was fine. The computer actually booted faster than before.

I should credit my computer manufacturer for the solution - DIGITAL STORM.

Hope that solves your problem. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Lode Offline

The following came from a HP employee. It worked for me:

1. Click on the start menu and click on 'Run', and then type 'services.msc' and press the Enter button.
2. In the Services window, look for HP CUE Device Discovery Service, and double click on it.
3. You should find something -under Properties- which says 'Startup Type'. Change that to 'Manual'
4. Click on the 'Apply' button and close all windows.

Restart your computer and see if it loads fast now.