SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Problems
User Name
Password

Bad block on HDD

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes

Old 04-23-2006, 02:16 PM
BOOM BOOM Offline

Bad block on HDD

Hi guys

My PC has basically nearly just given up on me. I've tried system restores, deleting stuff, running AV scans and A/spyware Scans but to no avail.

Several months ago my PC just started slowing down tremendously when it had been running for about two to three hours. After a shutdown and restart it seemed to resolve the problem. However, this morning i tried the same thing and it would not reboot again. It eventually re-booted but is running EXTREMELY low. When i say slow i mean It takes several minutes to open an application like control panel.

I've been in event viewer and checked the log. Basically an error has ocurred with a partition on my HDD. The error is:

The device, \D, has a bad block.

Now unfortunately for me it seems as though the bad block has affected my installation of MSoffice as i keep getting the windows installer box pop up.

Myset up is as follows:

P4 3.2 with thermalright cooling
Asus P5ND2 Deluxe Mobo
1GB Ram
4 x HDD (1 X 80 GB that has a partition - 20GB for OS and the remainder for installed programs - It is the remainder of the HDD that has been affected and not the OS partition).
Radeon X850 Pro GFX card

The other thing is that the partitioned drive has automatically renamed itself to Local Disk D. It does not appear in the defragment operation. Also when i try to access this drive directly it says:

The disk in Drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format now?

Can anyone pleeeeeease help me to resolve this is i relly want to avoid formatting and re-installing. Is it the bad sector of the disk causing this or could it be something else?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 AM
dsl2007 Offline

Try this -
Open windows command prompt and type in "chkdsk D: /F /R /X" without quotes. Whatever question windows asks type "y" for yes. Restart your computer. Windows will perform a disk check on drive d: before starting windows and will fix all the errors if found. Let it continue.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 AM
BOOM BOOM Offline

I just tried DSL's suggestion. Thanx.

I've ran chkdsk and it is now stuck on 47% of stage 4 of 5. It's been like that for about an hour now. Someone suggested using a program called powermax from Maxtor (It is a maxtor drive). Has anyone had experience of powermax before? or any other suggestioons? I could really do without having to buy a new disk (cost is not an issue but i really need the data on the drive).

TIA

Old 04-24-2006, 08:48 AM
BOOM BOOM Offline

hang on its running again.... It was just replacing bad clusters. on 66% now.... Will let you know of any progress...

Thanx again

Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
BOOM BOOM Offline

DSL2007... You are the man..... I can't thank you enough for the trouble you just saved me.... but thanx again.

Now is there anyway i can avoid this problem re-occurring or will windows have fixed it by moving all the bad sectors to the end of the drive???

Thanx again

Old 04-26-2006, 07:58 AM
dsl2007 Offline

Try to run the chkdsk in the same way as I have said above 2-3 times.
If it hangs somewhere, then restart ur computer and again try. If it hangs again then I would suggest Norton Disk Doctor which comes with Norton Utilities and Norton Systemworks. It is a very good program to repair disks.
But u can also try this :-
Backup any important data on the drive d: by copying it to drive c: or on a cd. Then open windows command prompt and type in without quotes
"format d: /fs:ntfs /x" and type in "y" for yes whatever it asks. this command will format your drive. (Don't forget to backup important data from this drive before using this command). Now run chkdsk in the same manner as above 2-3 times. You drive is now ready for use. Reply whether your problem is solved or not.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
BOOM BOOM Offline

hi DSL

Thanx for all your help... I've done what you suggested apart from using norton/formatting the HDD. I'm still having intermittent problems with the disk. I'd rather just buy a new disk and take it from there. I have too much important data that i can't afford to lose.

Is there any way whilst my D drive is running ok, that i can perhaps just clone or copy the entire contents of my c and d drives (along with the partition) onto another disk?

If so, i would really appreciate a good program or instructions on how to do this.

Many thanx again

Old 05-04-2006, 08:22 AM
frogstomp Offline

im having the same problem here. im just wondering why the logical drive is affected with bad blocks and not the primary. ive notice that its always DRIVE D: that gets bad blocks. also, there are times that my PC hangs up and DRIVE D: files cant be accessed. soemtimes, DRIVE D: doesnt appear in my computer at all. ive tried running win98 MSDOS CHECKDISK and it did locate the bad blocks but i wonder if its really a bad block or just a corrupt block and can still be fixed. can someone tell me if this block can be fixed or its permanently a bad block. also, which is the best/better antivirus software: AVG ANTIVIRUS or NORTON SYSTEMWORKS PREMIER. im using norton but im curious about AVG. which would u guys recommend?

Old 05-09-2006, 02:39 PM
pip22 Offline

Last time I spoke to a Packard Bell support technician regarding a suspected failing hard disk on my son's PC, he told me to run FORMAT with a couple of switches (can't remember which), and if the message "repairing bad clusters" appeared more than three times they (packard bell) took that as evidence that the disk was in a state of imminent failure. Sure enough, that message appeared at least ten times and PB replaced it as it was less than 3 years old (a maxtor, so no surprises there).