SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Problems
User Name
Password

No Sound From Headphone Jack With Realtek Hd Audio Device

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 3.71 average. Display Modes

Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 PM
soundpiercing Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle
This is exactly what occurs to my device:
Code:
Acer Travelmate 2483NWXMI Celeron M 430 512MB 80GB DVD+-RW 14,1" WXGA Kubuntu 7.04 „Feisty Fawn“

Bought mine midst of February. It left right now for its 3rd trip to Acer-Germany repair. Got the mainboard changed already twice. Still faulty. Its definitely a thermal problem and since it occurs to so many customers Acer should know about it for quite some time now.

What kind of policy is this? Storm their support. Cheers!

(Let me add some German keywords so that victims here can find this thread)
Kopfhörerausgang, Audioausgang, SPDIF, Travelmate 3270 3260 2480 2481, kein Ton, Sound, tot
+1
I'm sure that it is not a software issue because i use Mac OS X as main operating system on my 3682 and i have the same problem.
Must be a thermal issue as you mentioned. The last 3-4 days, i had to keep the laptop working for 18-20 hours per day and gradually the jack stopped working completely. I switched it off for some hours to cool down, but no luck. I think that it is damaged permanently...

Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM
tro Offline

try this settings

http://www.flamesplace.com/Sound.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit02
can any1 help..even with standby, i cant get my soundcard to work with my speakers..i have the realtek hd audio device ALC883, and i have tried almost everything i could find from google, including microsoft patches, all old drivers to new ones, but nothing works..can any1 help?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 PM
al.lou Offline

Smile Think I've found a solution

Been having the same problem as a lot of you, regarding headphones not working.
I've sat here for four hours now trying all your tips: STANDBY! CLOSING THE LID! MUTING THE VOLUME! FOUR BL@@DY HOURS!

Finally plucked up the courage to remove the realtek software from my computer, in the hope that re-installing it would solve the problem.
HEY-PRESTO! headphones working again!

Upon restarting my laptop, a 'Found new hardware' caption appeared bottom right, and the installation wizard started up and searched for Realtek software.

The headphones did not automatically work, until I opened the realtek audio manager, and changed the connector settings; to enable popup when device has been plugged in.

I also noted that on the old realtek manager all three jacks were present on the screen, however the re-installed version had only one.
Not the most computer literate in the world but wonder if the ports were having trouble distinguishing themselves from one and other.

Anyway by enabling the popup when the device is plugged in, every time you plug in a jack into the three ports it recognises the individual device when you click OK.

Sorry this post is so long, I'm just well chuffed with myself, and can finally get some sleep. Hope this cures everyone elses aswell! good luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
al.lou Offline

Spoke too soon!

Got my headphones working again!

Speakers don't go off though!

Anyone help me?

Gutted!!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Ant Offline

Goodness me, just googling this issue reveals a whole pile of similar problems. You might be able to effect some kind of solution by utilising the jiggery-pokery method of computer maintenance, but if I were you, I'd take it back to the shop before your guarantee ran out.
Thanks aren't always necessary, but are always appreciated.
There are only two men I trust with my computer. One's me. The other isn't you.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 PM
swemm Offline

next solution

This is definitely a thermal problem, on my acer TM2480 sound chip is getting hot after a while when comp is on and then pluging the jack gives no sound. I managed to cool the chip by turning the comp into standby, and, normally, we need to wait til it got coooled. Then I discovered that the headphone plug is getting hot after a while being plugged, so figured out a solution:
Just after turning it to standby i started to suck with my mouth through the jacks, i done this for several times, until when i plugged the phones, the plug stayed cool, so that the internal things in nbook should be cool too, and that's it, after wakin up, the sound is back!

It works even when the comp was workin for many hours, just make sure to cool the chip inside, you can use a vacuum cleaner, it cools very fast, and you dont have to use refrigerator

By the way, there's another solution... a simple external sound card plugged in usb, the 2 ch models are quite cheap, about 20$, and it should realy do for us

Old 10-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Spanky43 Offline

I been busting my butt too with this problem. Since this is my first build I though i had installed something wrong. But after finding you guys I found a solution that worked for me.
Go to the Realtek in control panel or click the icon in your system tray. Select the "Audio I/O" tab. Go to the Analog settings and put a checkmark on " Disable front panel jack detection". That's it. Your headphones should be working fine. By the way if you put your mouse over that setting it tells you "If front panel detection is not working properly, check this item" I hope this works for everyone.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Maestro_ Offline

Smile The permament and trivial solution!

I had exactly the same problem on my latop ASUS F3Ke: the sound from its internal speakers works fine, but when I plug in headphones - no sound at all. I brought the laptop to the ASUS service centre - and the solution was TRIVIAL (but not easy to guess ):

When the laptop just starts up:
  • press F2 to get into BIOS.
  • go to the menu "Advanced".
  • in the item "Play POST sound" select: Yes.
  • in the next item "Speaker volume" select: 0.
  • go to the menu "Exit" and select "Save changes and exit".
    The laptop will restart normally.
Note: in your model, the menu items may differ slightly. And do NOT change anything else in BIOS: it is a fine-tuned place, for professionals only!

Explanaition: when the laptop starts up, it shows a logo ASUS and plays a short melody. It's usually annoying, especially if you are in a quiet room (i.e., lecture), and people usually turn it off. In BIOS, the item "Play POST sound" turns on/off this melody (You will see a hint there: "Select Yes if you need to play POST sound on boot"). BUT (!!!) as a side effect (I assume it's a BUG), it turns off the sound from headphones jack completely!! The compromise was easy: turn ON this melody (i.e., set "Play POST sound" into Yes), but reduce its volume to 0 (this does NOT affect the volume of the sound in headphones or internal speakers! only for the start-up melody). Then you have NO melody at the start-up, but get the headphones working normally.

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2007, 05:44 PM
flameshacker Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro_
When the laptop just starts up:
  • press F2 to get into BIOS.
  • go to the menu "Advanced".
  • in the item "Play POST sound" select: Yes.
  • in the next item "Speaker volume" select: 0.
  • go to the menu "Exit" and select "Save changes and exit".
    The laptop will restart normally.
Note: in your model, the menu items may differ slightly. And do NOT change anything else in BIOS: it is a fine-tuned place, for professionals only!
Good luck!

what model did you have cause I have the Acer Aspire 3680 and I don't see any advanced setting tab in the bios

Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
adnisports Offline

i have the same problem...however i have a dell laptop.. does anyone know how to fix this? I tried the standby as well as new drivers.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM
marazi Offline

i too have same problem on an aspire 3680, tried so many different solutions, with different drivers, and no luck...

Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 AM
shinigami3 Offline

yo yo yo yo yo i made this account especially for this topic and i hope it helps u this IS A PROGRAM PROBLEM! I FOUND OUT HOW 2 FIX IT!!!
step1: right click on ur realtek hd audio manager
step2: click on sound manager (should be on top of the list)
step3: go to the audio I/O tab there should be an icon that looks like a wrench by the word (ANALOG) [top right] click it then click on [enable auto popup dialog. when a device has been plugged in]
step4: PLUG UR JACK AND IT SHOULD POP UP ULL SEE A LIST!!!
TICK ON HEADPHONES THEN CLICK OK!!! THAT SHUD BE IT!!!
hope i helped u guys cuz I KNO HAVING NO SOUND REALLY SUCK DICK

Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 PM
frankiefrank Offline

ALSO created account just to post MY SOLUTION

I didn't really like the Standby solution so I looked through the posts and saw that someone was talking about some settings in the RealTek Mixer settings...

I
1. went to Control Panel
2. opened "Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager"
3. went to "Audio I/O" tab
4. clicked on the settings (wrench) button in the "analog" section
5. disabled front panel jack detection (while my phones were connected and still without sound)
6. BOOM! sound is back on

hope it helps!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
enriquepong Offline

Here is the cheapest ($5) solution to this problem. I tried everything on this forum for about a year to no avail.

Buy a USB sound card, like the one shown here -->
http://www.cdrking.com/local/product...217692-9728046

Perfect workaround. no more use of stand-by or software set-ups that don't work 100% of the time.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 AM
acerexpired Offline

still not there yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiefrank
I didn't really like the Standby solution so I looked through the posts and saw that someone was talking about some settings in the RealTek Mixer settings...

I
1. went to Control Panel
2. opened "Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager"
3. went to "Audio I/O" tab
4. clicked on the settings (wrench) button in the "analog" section
5. disabled front panel jack detection (while my phones were connected and still without sound)
6. BOOM! sound is back on

hope it helps!

I saw this method a few times on here, and it makes sense, but I don't seem to have an Audio I/O tab in my Realtek HD Audio Manager. Are you guys running Vista on an Acer Aspire 3680?

I did notice there was a new driver dated 2/1/08 on the realtek website. I installed it hoping to find the Audio I/O tab, but no luck. Headphone jack still not working. About 2-3 hours wasted today...

What an annoying problem. Who would ever think to ask if the headphone jack works??