SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Problems
User Name

HP Cd-Writer + 8200 series problem

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes

Old 05-02-2007, 05:48 PM
miller72 Offline
Unhappy HP Cd-Writer + 8200 series problem

Hey there, I have been all over the net including hp support center and forums, and cant get much help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my writer. friday it stopped working and wouldnt read, I uninstalled and reinstalled, and got it updated and it now reads Cds but when I want to burn music or data it wont let me , it tells me my writer doesnt support recording. This is not true. It worked fine for 3 months, and we burned plenty of cd's. So now what is going on with it. If anyone could please help would b great. I have windows XP and all is updated, drivers are all updated ect. It is plugged into a USB port. In the device manager it is listed twice. Once under CD roms and once un USB controllers area. I just want it to wrok again sigh. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 PM
blacksnakehills Offline
Arrow 8200 driver problem

I saw your post today after I had bought a used 8200.
I have never installed one before, but it did occur to me I might need drivers. Online search was maddening. I found basically that HP no longer offers free product support for this line of CD writers. HP will sell a diskette with the drivers, and plenty of websites offer downloads but with strings attached. Being cheap, I wanted REALLY FREE. I ended up here reading your problem, and will post some basic info that might shed some light for you.

I don't want the same kind of problems you and others are having with HP writers on XP. I am running W2K. Probably the drivers are the same for both these MS OS's, so I would really appreciate it if you e-mail the drivers you have to me at <>

The info won't all fit in this post, so I will put it in a separate post which should hold it all. Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:08 PM
blacksnakehills Offline
Arrow 8200 driver description & notes

Below is what I have learned so far about the drivers in question. SEE: earlier post. I do hope you will take a minute to e-mail the drivers to me. <>

I hope this helps:

Device: CDrom Drives
Manufacturer: Hewlett Packard (HP)
Operating System(s): Windows
Model: CD-Writer 8200 exiternal
File name:
File size: 223911 bytes

Driver Information:

This driver is for enabling the Parallel Port. Once this is accomplished the Windows OS will see the drive and load the Windows drivers to enable the drive in read mode. It will still need the recording software to enable the burning process.

[MY NOTE: The sequence seems to be:
1) Driver epat150.exe enables parallel port
2) OS recognizes driver
3) OS loads driver
4) OS enables the burner drive in READ mode
5) YOU have to make sure you have the right software up and running to enable WRITE mode.]

Company: Hewlett Packard (HP)

Model: Cd Writer Plus 8200 External

Operating System: Windows 95 & Windows 98 (Note: might work with other versions of this os.)

Date Submitted: Dec 26, 2000

File: epat150.exe (free registration required)

Recommended: Run a Free Scan for Hewlett Packard (HP) drivers-related errors.

[MY NOTE: DON'T DO IT! If you MUST try this, then do it knowing the "Free Scan" might create new registry keys and change values of existing registry keys. It might also change browser settings and implant "browser helper objects" to redirect you against your will to Internet sites from hell. If I did the "Free Scan", I would immediately get offline and run a full-system scan by Ad-Aware to root out registry changes (such as MRU's which are little weenie dotcommie snitches) AND I would then run HijackThis to scan my browser. Those extra scans on my system would take about 40 minutes. You have to decide for yourself whether that time investment is worth potential gain.]

Comments: (parallel port Driver for the HP8200)

Downloaded from: [url/][/url]

[MY NOTE: This page is no longer available 24 Nov 07. This tells me the product is no longer supported for free by HP.]

New Parallel Port Drivers for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows Me(American English)

[MY NOTE: No mention here of XP. I am not geek enough to write my own drivers, but maybe someone will come along here, take pity on XP users with these favorite old HP burners, and write us something that works.]