SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Problems
User Name
Password

PC Working Slower After a Year

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes

Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Daniel_KSP Offline

PC Working Slower After a Year

Hello!
First of all, these are my current PC specifications:

GPU: Geforce GTX580 1.5GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
RAM: 12GB DDR3

Now, the problem: More than a year ago I bought myself a new PC that you can see in the rig, but the only difference was I had 3GB of RAM then (I changed to 12GB 3 months ago). So, after I bought the PC, I of course wanted to test it out, so I ran the GTA IV benchmark on full setings. Here is the benchmark file from 1 year ago:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistics
Average FPS: 63.74
Duration: 37.46 sec
CPU Usage: 67%
System memory usage: 78%
Video memory usage: 83%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Very High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Video Driver version: 266.58
Audio Adapter: GBo[niki (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems fine, the average of 63 FPS on GTAIV with full settings is alot. So, I was happy with my new PC, some time passed, I changed 3GB of RAM to 12GB, more time passed and today, I decided to run the benchmark once again.
Here are the today's results:
Statistics
Average FPS: 25.06
Duration: 37.31 sec
CPU Usage: 48%
System memory usage: 35%
Video memory usage: 82%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Very High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Video Driver version: 301.42
Audio Adapter: GBo[niki (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Before seeing the new results, I had been expecting the FPS to be at higher rate since I have added more RAM to my PC, and I was really surprised that is is almost 3 times lower. I am really worried and confused now. Not sure what can be the reason of the low FPS in the new benchmark, but it could be the GPU drivers
I want to add that I have not been formatting the PC since the previous benchmark.

So, if you know any possible reason or maybe solution for my problem, please help me, I will really appreciate any kind of help and support.

Regards,
Daniel_KSP

Last edited by Daniel_KSP : 06-09-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Monty007 Offline

Hi Daniel, changing from 3 gig to 12 gig of memory will not speed up a PC as Windows will only use what it needs.
First thing I would try is leaving 4 gig in the rig and removing the rest, chech you M/B handbook as you need the memory in the correct slots. Now run the test.
If no improvment I would be going to the M/B web site to see what updates are available and paying attention to bios updates. PLEASE becareful updating the bios as if it goes bad you could kiss you M/B goodbye.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Digerati Offline

Quote:
Hi Daniel, changing from 3 gig to 12 gig of memory will not speed up a PC as Windows will only use what it needs.
I have to disagree - not when starting from 3Gb with a 64-bit OS. Moving from 3Gb to 6 or 8 would (depending on dual or triple channel memory architecture of the motherboard) and typically does show a nice performance boost. But anything over 8Gb is likely a waste of money for most user.

Note 35% of 12Gb is already 4.2Gb.

And Windows will will use all it can get it's hands on, not just what it needs.

As far as the lower FPS, since that is primarily a measure of your graphics solution, I would be looking there. But note it is likely several other changes have occurred over the last 12 months. Window 7 SP1 is a big change.

Note too the CPU utilization went down quite a bit from last year - though I have no explanation for that.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Daniel_KSP Offline

So, I have formatted the PC and still the same problem. I will download some old GPU drivers

Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Embolism Offline

just try dropping resolution to 1024x768 and using medium settings you won`t really notice any difference optically and it will give you more speed with less intensive system usage making for a longer lifetime of components ,running everything at highest settings is alright for a test but redundant in the real world unless you have a 60 inch screen and sitting 2 foot away from it
12 gb of Ram omg

Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Daniel_KSP Offline

Thanks for all the help, but I found the solution. The issue was with the drivers! I downgraded to some old Nvidia drivers from previous year and its almost 70 FPS now!

Thanks again!