SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Problems
User Name
Password

Desperately seeking DISPLAY ADAPTERS!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.40 average. Display Modes

Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM
~Samantha~ Offline

Desperately seeking DISPLAY ADAPTERS!

I bought a used computer but the drivers are all messed up. I need advice! I have spent hours upon hours researching this. My brain is on overload and I'm not even sure if I can even explain my problem well enough.

First I had to get a dvi-vga adapter to connect my monitor to the HD video card. Then I had to use a PCI adapter to connect to broadband because the computer isn't recognizing the network adapter, probably needs a driver. The computer came with a clean install of windows xp, so I did some updating. While I was doing that, I noticed there wasn't any audio. I had to update driver. Got sound! Check! Then I downloaded City of Heroes mmorpg (which is why I got the computer). But when I went to play I got an error about a missing opengl driver. That's when I discover the mess in device manager.

SM Bus Controller & Video Controller (VGA compatible) are both listed under other devices with yellow question marks, apparently driver-less. And there is nothing for Display Adapters. It doesn't even say Display Adapters in the list. I have a Radeon HD 7570 according to the eBay seller. The computer does not recognize it at all. I've tried updating the drivers, but I'm not even sure if chose the right one. I've tried the AMD auto detect; that doesn't work. It flashes what I assume to be an error msg, but it's so quick it's just a blur. There is supposedly an AMD Catalyst Control Center or AMD Vision Engine Control Center, but I can't find a place to download it.

Now after more confusing research, I'm wondering do I need to mess with the BIOS (please NO!) or maybe something about a motherboard chipset? *Sigh* I'm at a loss as what to do next! The previous owner hasn't been helpful at all.

I was up til 7 am trying to figure this thing out. I didn't get much sleep. But I wouldn't be complaining if I'd been up all that time playing superhero!!

I hope someone can help!
Thanks!

4 gigs of ddr2 memory
Radeon HD 7570
Abit kn9 sli mother board

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name WINDOWS-NLPQ0N0
System Manufacturer Unknow
System Model Unknow
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2100 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 2/27/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5

Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 AM
~Samantha~ Offline

UPDATE:

I used CPU-Z to find the motherboard's chipset and downloaded the drivers. That took care of SM Bus Controller, so VGA controller still needs a driver.

CPU-Z doesn't show anything under 'Graphics', but AIDA64 shows 'AMD Radeon HD 7570 (Turks)' under 'PCI/AGP Video' ?
AIDA64 also shows 'OpenGL Properties' as:
Vendor Microsoft Corporation
Renderer GDI Generic
Version 1.1.0
OpenGL DLL 5.1.2600.5512(xpsp.080413-0845)

I can't find a driver for VGA Controller. I found this article that says after a new windows install the motherboard's chipset driver is the first thing that should be updated to prevent other things from going wrong. Should I reinstall windows to make sure that is done first?

Or I read somewhere else that I should check the BIOS to see if 'Assign IRQ to VGA' is enabled?

Can the dvi-vga adapter to connect the monitor affect anything? Or the PCI adapter I installed?

I hope I'm getting all this lingo straight, because I really don't know what I'm talking about at all!
Well, I told myself I would not stay up all night again trying to figure it out...

Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 AM
~Samantha~ Offline

This morning I tried to enter the BIOS, but I don't see anything in the beginning that suggests what key to press. So frustrated.

Well, in short, I'm getting an opengl driver missing message, VGA controller has no driver & the device manager does not recognize my video card.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 AM
~Samantha~ Offline

2 weeks later... I finally figured it out. The AMD Radeon HD 7570 is a Dell card that requires Dell drivers not AMD. Thanks for everyone's help. :P

Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Embolism Offline

find make and model of the pc/laptop,go to the manufacturers site and look up specific model download all drivers and install missing or required ones,its only hard when you make it so.
p.s next time you want help please give make and model number it is all that is required to find drivers