SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Problems
User Name
Password

Damaged hard disk

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes

Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Taishi_Ci Offline

Damaged hard disk

Hi,

I dropped my external hard disk shortly after deleting them when i was setting up windows. My i can only see them connected in device manager, but disk management and my computer doesnt show them.

Is there anyway to do data recovery now?

Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Taishi_Ci Offline

most recovery software is unable to detect the hard disk, one did but couldnt get anything from there, hard disk still create sound and light up.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Digerati Offline

Them? How many external drives did you drop?

And you said you "deleted them" and now you want to recover data from them? I'm confused.

If you dropped an enclosure containing a drive, at this point you don't know if the enclosure is bad, or if the drive inside is bad. If me, I would open the enclosure, remove the drive and install it as secondary drive (NOT the boot drive) in another computer and then see if you can access any data on it.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Embolism Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taishi_Ci
Hi,

I dropped my external hard disk shortly after deleting them when i was setting up windows. My i can only see them connected in device manager, but disk management and my computer doesnt show them.

Is there anyway to do data recovery now?
Did you erase them with a partitioning tool before dropping them and fail to make them bootable and create new partitions or did you delete them using your operating system.?
A couple of ways to workaround the problem depending on what you have done there are forensic data tools for recovery going way back from steve Gibsons spinwrite which could retrieve data after HDD was reformatted many times,but I am a little confused as to what you are asking if you have erased HDD completely without formatting then you could use a live cd like Kanotix to partition the HDD so it is recognised by windows and then use spinwrite or another such program to retrieve your data.
That is if they are not completely fubar I am a little puzzled as Digerati is since if you formatted them under windows when setting up an install it does it all for you unless you just deleted the drive and it now needs reformatting to be recognised by the O/S.
http://www.grc.com/intro.htm
http://www.kanotix.com/changelang-eng.html

Last edited by Embolism : 01-02-2013 at 05:30 AM.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Digerati Offline

Quote:
I am a little puzzled as Digerati is
Yeah, we need some more information. The problem is, partitions are handled as if they are separate drives (hence separate drive letters). The partition and file tables keep track which data segment (chunks of files) goes where. When the partitions are deleted, almost all of the data is still on the drive, but the information in the remaining table(s) saying which piece of data goes where is no longer valid. So the remaining tables are not able to piece all the data fragments back together again.

As Embolism correctly pointed out, there are forensic data recovery tools, and even Partition Recovery tools. But none of these can guarantee 100% success. And this is especially true if the drive has been used after the partitions were deleted.

There are also professional recovery services, but these can be very expensive (into the $1000s!). But depending on the lost data, may well be worth it!

Of course, I am assuming it is the drive with problems and not the dropped enclosure.

At any rate, Taishi_Ci, I hope with the holidays now passed you are able to come back and provide some more information so we can help (if possible) and also so this thread does not go dormant without resolution.