SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Hardware > Hardware Problems
User Name
Password

Lightening strike two PC's down

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes

Old 03-27-2016, 12:14 PM
whipleg Offline

Unhappy Lightening strike two PC's down

Hi.we recently had a lightening strike near the house both my PC's were on and now neither will power up.I,have done the paperclip test on the power units and both came on.is there any other tests I can do or is the mother board fried on both pc's. And yes I did have surge protectors appparentley they don't protect from lightening strikes.hope you help.cheers for any replies I might receive. Nicko

Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Digerati Offline

Do note that nothing can offer full protection from a direct lightning strike. I don't really recommend the use of surge and spike protectors because they are not much more than fancy and expensive extension cords. Instead, I recommend all computers be on a "good" UPS with AVR. These offer superior protection from all sorts of power anomalies, not just excessive high-voltage events like surges and spikes. But again, even the best UPS cannot protect from a direct strike.

The "paper-clip" test is not conclusive. All it does is allow the PSU to turn on. It does not show if the required output voltages are present, nor does it reveal the quality of the voltages. That can only be done by an experience individual using an oscilloscopic or power supply analyzer - expensive and specialized test equipment requiring special training to use and understand the results.

So for "normal users", I recommend swapping in a known good PSU or have theirs properly tested by a quality electronics technician.

Alternatively, you can try a PSU Tester. The advantage of this model is that it has a LCD readout of the voltages. With an actual voltage readout, you have a better chance of detecting a "failing" PSU, or one barely within the required tolerances as specified in the ATX Form Factor PSU Design Guide (see “Table 2. DC Output Voltage Regulation” on Page 13). Lesser models use LEDs to indicate the voltage is just within some "range". These are less informative, considerably cheaper, but still useful for detecting PSUs that have already "failed". However, none of these testers test for ripple and they only provide a little "dummy load", not a variety of "realistic" loads. So while much better than nothing (or a paper clip), using one of these testers is not a "conclusive" test either.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 PM
whipleg Offline

Thank you for the reply I will try that.I got one PC working. The strike had blew the graphics card.think the surge went through the phone line and blew the motherboard.there is no power to it and I have tried two different power units. Cheers nicko

Old 03-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Digerati Offline

Note sure how a surge through a phone line would take out a graphics card. But electricity has a mind of its own sometimes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Dude111 Offline

Wow Im so sorry buddy

I hope you can get stuff going again soon!!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:36 PM
whipleg Offline

Very sorry for the late reply.but I tried everything I could think of.even taking it apart and putting it back piece by piece.motherboard must be blown.only thing I get is a yellow light and nothing else.I will have to scap it.thanks again for your replies

Old 07-04-2016, 01:41 AM
Dude111 Offline

Im so sorry whipleg