SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > General Computing > Internet
User Name
Password

cant connect to internet from laptop

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.07 average. Display Modes

Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 PM
WindowsSucks Offline

I am not very good with computers but i have had similar problems and I have learned a little

Try going into command prompt and flushing the DNS (Domain Service Name) look on a different computer for how i cant remember what to type i believe its flushdns not to sure may be different.

Also try going into Internet Explorer and go to Tool; Internet Options;Lan Settings; and Disable Automatic Detect if it is checked or Turn it on my laptop stopped working and i turned it off and it works great now.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM
sneakydave Offline

I had this very same problem with my laptop. I had to get a system restore disk and reinstall the ethernet port driver. If you plug the ehternet wire into the port and it doesn't even light up. 90% chance, that's what it is. Or it could be the port itself. Look inside and make sure all the little prongs are straight and not burnt or anything.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 PM
powers86 Offline

Worked for Me

Ok Guys if you are using your work laptop which works fine at Work and you have no problem connecting to your home Internet with other devices, then it's very likely your work uses Proxy Server. There is two ways about this, the easiest solution is to Run CMD on Windows and type etsh int ip reset resetlog.txt, what this will do is clear your proxy settings automatically. Beware if you are using your work laptop it will not connect to your work internet no more.

The second solutions is what I do, right click the little Icon with the screen on your task bar.. You will see two options one for Wireless and the other for Ethernet. Right click which ever one you would like to use, Click properties and on the general tab scroll down to the End. You should see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" double click this and you will see a new window open. On the General tab you should see Two options, if the option is "Use the following IP address" then there is your problem. MAKE NOTES OF THE INFORMATION(IP address, DNS, Subnet Mask, etc) IF YOU WANT TO RECONNECT AT WORK. Now once you have made notes (write it down on paper) and click the other option which says "Obtain IP address automatically" Careful once you click this your previous info will be lost. Click OK and Disabled Your Internet connection and reconnect.
That Should do it..

Once at work follow these steps and type the information back as it was and again reset your internet connection via your Laptop.

Hope this Helps and Im using Windows XP. For Vista it might be slightly different but you should figure it out.

Cheers

Old 03-19-2011, 03:37 PM
powers86 Offline

Ok Guys if you are using your work laptop which works fine at Work and you have no problem connecting to your home Internet with other devices, then it's very likely your work uses Proxy Server. There is two ways about this, the easiest solution is to Run CMD on Windows and type etsh int ip reset resetlog.txt, what this will do is clear your proxy settings automatically. Beware if you are using your work laptop it will not connect to your work internet no more.

The second solutions is what I do, right click the little Icon with the screen on your task bar.. You will see two options one for Wireless and the other for Ethernet. Right click which ever one you would like to use, Click properties and on the general tab scroll down to the End. You should see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" double click this and you will see a new window open. On the General tab you should see Two options, if the option is "Use the following IP address" then there is your problem. MAKE NOTES OF THE INFORMATION(IP address, DNS, Subnet Mask, etc) IF YOU WANT TO RECONNECT AT WORK. Now once you have made notes (write it down on paper) and click the other option which says "Obtain IP address automatically" Careful once you click this your previous info will be lost. Click OK and Disabled Your Internet connection and reconnect.
That Should do it..

Once at work follow these steps and type the information back as it was and again reset your internet connection via your Laptop.

Hope this Helps and Im using Windows XP. For Vista it might be slightly different but you should figure it out.

Cheers

Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 AM
deckermd Offline

I am having a similar issue. I have a acer aspire 5734Z. It will connect through the wifi but not if i hard wire it. I sent it back to acer and they replaced the lan drive but the broadband hard wire still won't work. It works on my daughters laptop she has an hp and my dell desktop works when connected.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 AM
joebergeron Offline

Cant connect to my network

Just recently when I go to log onto my wireless network from my laptopit says "the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network." This problem just started happening and all the other computers in the house are connecting just fine. How do I fix my laptop so it will connect?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
shaneredmond Offline

i have just recently run into the same problems were my laptop is connected to the rightnetwork connection and says its connected but wont connect to my web browser. im running on vista and before last week (1.8.11) it was running perfectly fine with other laptops connected to the wireless.the wireless in secured by a WEP and password. i have run trouble shoots and reconfigured my tcp/ip with help from help desks of my service providors and still same occuring problem. they then asked what my wifi adapter was and its an atheros AR9285 802.11 b/g WiFi adapter and they said that would be the problem. i updated the driver and my internet explorer worked for that night, however when i logged on this morning same old problem of connected to wireless but internet explorer wont open. ran troubleshoot and it said it could ping google but but it could not connect at this time(not sure if thats the problem just thought id add it) all the while while my dads laptop was connected and running fine so i gave up for that day on trying to figure it out. this morning i turned on my laptop and for some reason its fully connected to the internet and eveything is working fine however when my dad turned his laptop on this morning it is experiencing the exact same problems that mine has been doing for no reason at all. also on both occasions when ethernet cable is plaugged into laptops it says it connected and and still internet explorer wont open.can anyone at all help me out please

Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 AM
aalegnani1580 Offline

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneredmond
i have just recently run into the same problems were my laptop is connected to the rightnetwork connection and says its connected but wont connect to my web browser. im running on vista and before last week (1.8.11) it was running perfectly fine with other laptops connected to the wireless.the wireless in secured by a WEP and password. i have run trouble shoots and reconfigured my tcp/ip with help from help desks of my service providors and still same occuring problem. they then asked what my wifi adapter was and its an atheros AR9285 802.11 b/g WiFi adapter and they said that would be the problem. i updated the driver and my internet explorer worked for that night, however when i logged on this morning same old problem of connected to wireless but internet explorer wont open. ran troubleshoot and it said it could ping google but but it could not connect at this time(not sure if thats the problem just thought id add it) all the while while my dads laptop was connected and running fine so i gave up for that day on trying to figure it out. this morning i turned on my laptop and for some reason its fully connected to the internet and eveything is working fine however when my dad turned his laptop on this morning it is experiencing the exact same problems that mine has been doing for no reason at all. also on both occasions when ethernet cable is plaugged into laptops it says it connected and and still internet explorer wont open.can anyone at all help me out please

I can pretty much guarantee that your issue lies within software. I've seen this tons of times personally and it's always the same thing: log into your router (generally call your ISP and ask, usually just open a browser window and in the addresses bar type either 192.168.0.1 then Enter or 192.168.1.1 then enter. Username and password are usually something like admin for both or admin1.) You should bee able to spend a little time on the Web and/or on the phone with your ISP tech and figure it out quite fast really. You just need more IP's simply put. You're router is allowing like a range of say 5 ip's which is in this case 5 computers/devices. You simply need to change the block set of IP's to range for permission to access everything to like 20 users and it'll keep them all up and! running again! Peace!