SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > General Computing > Internet
User Name
Password

cant connect to internet from laptop

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.07 average. Display Modes

Old 10-05-2004, 06:59 AM
br0k3n Offline

cant connect to internet from laptop

hello everyone, im having a problem with getting my laptop connect to the internet through our home network, and im like 90% sure the problems with the laptop and not the network. when go to connect to the network it tells me that im connected with no problems and that everythings working the way its supposed to but when i go to open browser it thinks im offline, same with gaim, p2p networks and all other programs that connect to the internet. my desktop computer is also on this computer and so is my other laptop, and they do not have this problem, then also today at school i tried to connect to their access point and the same thing, it said i was connected fine but then i couldnt get internet. i tried using the settings transfer wizard from my desktop to my laptop and that didnt work, and im about to try reformatting and reinstalling if i dont get anymore ideas (this happened before and that fixed it). anyone know whats going on with my laptop?

Old 10-05-2004, 07:04 AM
br0k3n Offline

oh and btw im running xp with sp2 and my wireless adapter is a linksys usb wireless network adapter

Old 11-12-2005, 06:28 AM
yashrg Offline

me havin the same problem

hey ya`ll please answer this question.i am having the same problem, and registered at this board just to get a solution to this problem.none of the applications can access the internet.i tried the same connection on my pc and it works but when i connect from the laptop, nothing!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Keetski Offline

Unhappy same problem here

Hope someone has an answer - I just got a new Gateway laptop running XP Home SP2 and all my other computers connect fine on my DSL modem. Laptop connects then doesn't let any internet applications connect. It worked for a while then suddenly stopped working and wont work at any WIFI places either. All firewalls are off..McAfee uninstalled in favor of AVG - not sure what to do next. Hope someone has an idea.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
yashrg Offline

sorry keetski even I couldnt find the solution to this problem and had to do a "fresh" installation of windows.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Keetski Offline

yashrg, Thanks for the reply tho not what I was hoping to hear. :-/ There has to be a reason for and an answer to this problem somewhere and it shouldn't require a full re-install!!!! but I can't see any other solution ATM either. WAs hoping to avoid that but looks like not. Anyone else that has info - please post. I'm sure there are more than a few of us with this @%@%@% going on.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:49 AM
tones_ie Offline

Did u guys scan for spyware/malware ?
try here
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

Suggest ya get a copy of hiJackThis and run that also.....post the log here and we can see if theres anything unusual going on...

HijackThis
http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

quickstart for hijackThis
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

could very well have nothing to do with your problem though but its a process of elimination...

Btw, i know u say the websites dont show but are u able to ping any?
Start >> Run >> type cmd when the window opens type in ping google.com or similiar and see if the servers respond...

Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 PM
kimandhailey Offline

Can these virus checks be saved to and run from a disk? I cant connect to the internet so I cant run an online check.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 AM
KingdomCome Offline

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE.

You are all connecting to the WRONG network.

This is the only time that I have seen this happen.

You don't just plug in an adapter and hope that it magically connects to your network, you have to set it up so that it connects to it.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:11 AM
KingdomCome Offline

IN SHORT.

Just because you have the key to a door, that does not mean that the door will magically open up for you.

You have to manually insert the key into the door.

Same with this stuff. If your adapter isn't configure to use your network, nothing aint gonna happen.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:58 AM
Kevin_gibson Offline

KingdomCome:
Quote:
Just because you have the key to a door, that does not mean that the door will magically open up for you.
Nice example, right in 1 way, wrong in another, they have all said that other machines can connect to the wireless network (but not their own machine)
So therefore, they are all connecting to the correct network.

I always recommend shutting down the PC and / or laptop, and the router / gateway.

Turn on the router / gateway see what happens then.
If you go in to start - run - cmd - ipconfig, do you get an IP address? Default gateway?

If you get a default gateway, that means your PC / Laptop is talking to the router.
If you don't, then something else could be preventing it (WEP Key) for example

Try and do:
Start - Run - Cmd - Ipconfig /release (Press enter)
Start - Run - Cmd - Ipconfig /renew (Press enter) - If this fails to work.

Try resetting the TCP/IP.
Start - Run -
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (A brief flash of the Command box will appear)
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt (same as above)
Once this is done, restart the PC / Laptop, try and connect again.

If that fails, delete the Winsock keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\
Services\
Winsock

Restart the PC again, if this works, can you connect to the router via a ethernet cable? If yes, then the router is obviously OK (Can connect via other methods)
Try and get updated wireless drivers from Linksys website.

Failing all this, run a full system restore (Remaster)

Big world out there - softwaretipsandtricks have your answer

www.google.com is your friend
Happy to help with Windows 95, 98, ME, XP & Vista, Windows 7. Any software related issues, or router problems, give us a shout.
Any make & model of PC, laptop problems. ST&T Always have a right answer

Last edited by Kevin_gibson : 12-09-2006 at 03:00 AM.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:28 PM
KingdomCome Offline

LOL. Maybe you should be more specific when you refer to "machines".

If you mean to say that the computers with wireless adapters can connect to the network and not the ones that are connected to the actual router, that would make more sense.

Also, just because the other "machines" are connecting to a network, that does not necessarily mean that they are connected to the network(their network).

If the original computer(connected to the router) cannot connect to the internet, then the other machines cannot as well. As this would imply a router issue, possibly settings issue.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:30 PM
KingdomCome Offline

At one point, my computer that has a wireless router was having these problems.

Everything seems fine, until I found out it was connected to some other person's network. Connectivity is there, however browsers and applications will not work.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Vikturus Offline

Try resetting the TCP/IP.
Start - Run -
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (A brief flash of the Command box will appear)
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt (same as above)
Once this is done, restart the PC / Laptop, try and connect again.

I do the above but then, It says that I have connection but then I still cant connect....

Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM
snyderfan162005 Offline

I have the same problem. My wireless network is setup through my Gateway laptop. My desktop computer and my sister's laptop can connect just fine but mine just recently started having internet issues. I checked to make sure i was connected to the correct network and I am. I have also diagnosed my connection and there was nothing wrong. It shows that I am connected but when i pull up the internet explorer it says that the it couldn't connect to the webpage, just like if I were offline. I have asked around at different places and have been told that is could be my hard drive going bad or that it could be my memory going bad. I don't want to have to redo my whole computer...so does anyone have any solutions?