SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > General Computing > Internet
User Name
Password

My Downloads Keep Stopping

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 2.30 average. Display Modes

Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Steven2017 Offline

Exclamation My Downloads Keep Stopping

Whenever I try to download something it stops quarter or half way through. I have no clue what the problem could be it was working fine a few months ago.
I'll try to explain what comes up when I download. I get a pop up with two folders with files going from one folder to the other and the % going up. After a while the % stops going up but the files still go across. I have tried waiting a few hours to see if the download finished but it just wont budge.
I am using a secondary connection via router (LAN connection). The admin has recently updated the speed from 1mb to 2mb for both of us. There is no limit to how much we can download so I dont understand it.

I have checked for viruses and spyware but nothing has come up. I even restored Windows from new and tried Firefox and Opera but the downloads still wont complete!

I have problems downloading from all websites but the one I am having most problems with is Rapidshare. I have a premium account but I can never download anything. Also I have tried Rapid-Get and it will download for a bit then half way the downloads will stop. I try turning off rapid-get and resuming the download but it will not resume!

This is all websites though not just Rapidshare.

I have also tried resetting security settings to default but still didnt solve it.

I have SP 2 with all the latest updates.

I have tried Winsock XP

I cant and nobody else seems to be able to figure it out

Please help its been 6 months now!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:32 AM
Steven2017 Offline

Can anyone help?

Old 07-17-2006, 08:04 AM
pip22 Offline

Have you tried a different web-browser with it's own download manager?
Firefox uses it's own download manager, give it a try. See what happens. Take it from there. Could be an IE problem, so trying a different browser would give you some idea if it's just IE or some other problem.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Steven2017 Offline

I have tried IE6, Firefox, and Opera.

I have also tried several download managers but the download still stop! When I try to resume it dont work

Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 PM
myrab51 Offline

I've recently started having the same problem as steven2017. I've even tried upgrading to IE7 Beta. Nothing changed and I've gone back to IE6. I am not finding any viruses or spyware. The percentage, time left and kb downloaded all stop. The animation of the files transferring continue to go. The Task Manager will continue to show the app as running. If I leave a try leaving it, the file will show downloading for extended periods of time, but never advance. It's occuring at multiple web sites.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM
TTmuser Offline

I'm having this problem too! I've tried using IE and Firefox but it doesn't matter. I don't have any viruses either. Someone, please help. .

Old 08-07-2007, 04:15 PM
pelswick91 Offline

worked for me

i was having the same problem as well, but i just resolved it so i figured id give my 2 cents in an attempt to help u guys with this extremly frustrating problem. i dont know if there is something wrong with my cpu/router/isp or what but i do know that i was having the same exact problem with downloads stopping and not reconnecting, it may be have timed out or lost the connection i dunno. but try what i did, go to www.getright.com and get the free or not (ur choice) download manager. it doesnt take too long to download ( dont worry about the download stopping its only a couple hundred kb takes about 2-5 seconds...seriously ), and after it finishes try downloading ur file again. if it stops like it has before, simply cancel(dont delete) the download, and click resume. it will continue from where it left off. this may not be the perfect solution or fix, but its a nice work around and its up to u if u want to try it or not. best of luck to you and cheers

edit: oohh i forgot to mention, the particular file i was downloading was going around 109kb/sec b4 i downloaded the download manager and after i downloaded the manager it started going at approx 211-229kb/sec so thats a nice bonus i guess

Last edited by pelswick91 : 08-07-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
thecount2525 Offline

Downloads stopping SOLVED at least for me.

I had the exact same thing happening to me, never had a problem in the past and then boom all of a sudden, I think it might have been a windows update or possibly I updated a network card driver as a part of a package when I was installing dual monitors using Nvidia driver files. Either way after reading a hundred threads similar to this and trying every possible solution and I do mean everything that was recommended here and on other threads I finally tried something on my own. I'm running Windows 7 x64 and have firefox and IE with a DSL (6 Mbit business connection). I noticed on all the downloads that would fail that the download speed would ramp up to 730 kB a second and then just taper off to zero and remain hung up until cancelling. Coincidentally, 730 kB/sec is exactly 5.98 Mbit/sec. So, I downloaded NetLimiter3 and restricted my firefox to 700kB/sec. With three different test files that would not previously download after trying them different days and times over a 3 week period I was finally able to download every single one. I assume that possibly Windows 7 and Vista x64 or a combination of that with the latest browsers were probably trying to go beyond that 6 Mbit limit and for some reason when the ISP restricted the flow to that speed the OS/Browser couldn't handle it the way the older systems would. Probably be fixed with some patch to Windows sooner or later. Of course Netlimiter isn't free so I'm looking for another permanent solution and unfortunately Firefox doesn't support the old Throttle plugin anymore.

I can't believe that no one on any thread ever suggested this could be the problem...
The computer was actually to fast for a change...

Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Strangebird Offline

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelswick91
i was having the same problem as well, but i just resolved it so i figured id give my 2 cents in an attempt to help u guys with this extremly frustrating problem. i dont know if there is something wrong with my cpu/router/isp or what but i do know that i was having the same exact problem with downloads stopping and not reconnecting, it may be have timed out or lost the connection i dunno. but try what i did, go to www.getright.com and get the free or not (ur choice) download manager. it doesnt take too long to download ( dont worry about the download stopping its only a couple hundred kb takes about 2-5 seconds...seriously ), and after it finishes try downloading ur file again. if it stops like it has before, simply cancel(dont delete) the download, and click resume. it will continue from where it left off. this may not be the perfect solution or fix, but its a nice work around and its up to u if u want to try it or not. best of luck to you and cheers

edit: oohh i forgot to mention, the particular file i was downloading was going around 109kb/sec b4 i downloaded the download manager and after i downloaded the manager it started going at approx 211-229kb/sec so thats a nice bonus i guess
This was a godsend, thank you!!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
kwarbington Offline

Pausing Downloads - McAfee

I am running Vista and Firefox w/McAfee AV, and my large downloads would always hang up before completion. They would not terminate or crash, just stop every 10-30MB along the way and sit there. I found that I could go to the download manager in Firefox and pause them, then restart them, and they would go another 10-30 MB and "hang" again. I could keep repeating this until the download completed, and the downloaded file would be fine in the end. This was cumbersome of course, but allowed me to get the file. I kept trying other things over a few weeks, and eventually found that if I turned off the McAfee firewall before downloading, the files would complete without any hitch. In my case the McAfee firewall was a part of the problem. Can't tell you why or how it caused problems, but it does 100% of the time with large files. If the files are smaller than 10-20 MB I never need to turn off the firewall.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 AM
screwg Offline

I was having total download stoppage with Firefox on XP.
Ran Combofix,FREE, it found a buggy and deleted it, all good now.
From Combofix log.
c:\documents and settings\fred\Application Data\1816CA7466166.ind

Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM
Dude111 Offline

Im glad ya got things corrected my friend