SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > General Computing > Internet
User Name
Password

Movie Downloads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes

Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 AM
TheFrog Offline

Movie Downloads

I would like to download movies Legally but although I've looked all over the web they all seem to be p2p based.
I did sign up for one that to all extents and purposes seemed to be a genuine db of movies, but this also turned out to be p2p (uTorrent) based.

Can anyone point me to a genuine site without me trawling through thousands? What I want is to PAY for any I want to download.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Monty007 Offline

Hi, this site looks ok but dont forget that any transaction over the net can be a risk. As I live in Australia I know of site here that are safe but I have no idea what is in France.
http://my-movie-download.com/
SQL 2008 (2778)
Windows Server 2008 (6430)

Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 AM
TheFrog Offline

Thanks Monty007 - interesting site and one I'll be taking a close look at.

B

Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Ant Offline

P2P in itself isn't illegal. In fact it's used by many legitimate movie and music suppliers as an easy way to distribute legally acquired products.

The illegal aspects of it stem from the fact that many people use the system to distribute cracked software, copied movies and illegally ripped CDs.

Don't just dismiss a seemingly legitimate site as illegal because it uses P2P as a means of distribution. In many cases it's perfectly legal.
Thanks aren't always necessary, but are always appreciated.
There are only two men I trust with my computer. One's me. The other isn't you.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:33 AM
TheFrog Offline

Thank you Ant - makes sense.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Able Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
P2P in itself isn't illegal. In fact it's used by many legitimate movie and music suppliers as an easy way to distribute legally acquired products.

The illegal aspects of it stem from the fact that many people use the system to distribute cracked software, copied movies and illegally ripped CDs.

Don't just dismiss a seemingly legitimate site as illegal because it uses P2P as a means of distribution. In many cases it's perfectly legal.

Even the BBC Iplayer uses P2P!

Old 11-01-2008, 01:06 PM
TheFrog Offline

I think it's the bad press it's had that prejudices our thinking.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Ant Offline

Only way I could get the latest, hot-off-the-press, very excellent Open Office at the time was through P2P.

Open Office is available here:

http://download.openoffice.org/

Might not be as fancy as Microsoft's all-pervasive offering, but compatible and, for many users, just as good.

Office 2007 just totally sucks. Typical MS bloatware.
Thanks aren't always necessary, but are always appreciated.
There are only two men I trust with my computer. One's me. The other isn't you.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Able Offline

The only time microsoft will make anything that doesn't suck is when they start making vacuum cleaners!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:13 AM
pip22 Offline

Despite all the positive remarks made about P2P networks, don't forget it's one of today's most-used methods for transporting viruses & trojans, and it's been steadily getting worse in that respect.

I don't use P2P software for that very reason, not even for legal stuff.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 PM
ocean11 Offline

I am afraid that I don't agree with you on that one. You can get a virus from lots of places. If you are on the internet, the chances of getting a virus is the same whether you use p2p or if you get a lot of crappy email forwards. You can also pick up virus's by opening unkown links. I haven't heard of too many people getting them from p2p exclusively.....

Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Embolism Offline

Talking P2p

In regards comments to p2p legitamacy it is a perfectly legal tool and as a developer instrumental in one of PARGS plug ins in Azureus as jeff666@sourceforge.net and jd6667 on thier IRC help and support now known as Vuze,I can say without contradiction there is nothing illegal or unsafe about the application and anyone can use it without fear of being tracked and without issue of viruses given the content is scanned and verified prior to being sent.
Because the application is for everyones use under the GNU licence as it is an original open source application anyone can send files by this transport and it is the legitamacy of the sender not the protocol that the frog should always be conscious off .
All things are pirateable from films,music,games etc,etc but the transport it perfectly safe and not illegal in anyway so frog suggest if you are dubious about it buy your films from a shop or rent from blockbuster

Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Embolism Offline

alternatively watch project freetv another open source project originally and watch tv shows and films for nothing )
http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/

Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Embolism Offline

The irony of it all is that Azureus/vuzes logo has always been the azureus blue FROG =)

Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Embolism Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean11
I am afraid that I don't agree with you on that one. You can get a virus from lots of places. If you are on the internet, the chances of getting a virus is the same whether you use p2p or if you get a lot of crappy email forwards. You can also pick up virus's by opening unkown links. I haven't heard of too many people getting them from p2p exclusively.....

Well said whilst it is a valid point that a lot of pirated software contains server patches and virus`s it is also a valid point that emails and other transportprotocols can carry exe files or server patches in anything from music to pictures using applications like camoflage,it is not the protocol that is in question but the origins of what is sent and by whom.
As the progenitor of the idea that the irc security originally from ants p2p should be integrated into azureus paul grahams (PARG) I spent several years looking into applications and protocols and how they are subverted and can assure the frog and anyone else concerned that torrenting through azureus/vuzes is safe as long as the content is verified before being sent as with all secure applications.