SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Other Operating Systems
User Name
Password

Mandrake Linux Files For Bankruptcy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes

Old 01-16-2003, 11:40 PM
ESALADUANE Offline

Mandrake Linux Files For Bankruptcy

This is 2 days old but I just saw it:

http://rss.com.com/2100-1001-980819....feed&subj=news

Old 01-17-2003, 08:33 AM
beeboy Offline

This will hurt the linux community big-time. Mandrake has been #1 in bringing linux to home users.

Old 01-17-2003, 08:42 AM
ESALADUANE Offline

You have to question any business model that is based on a "free" and "open source" main product. Didn't someone at these companies ask the most basic questions, "Where is the money going to come from?", "Can we bring in more money than we spend?"

Old 01-19-2003, 12:47 PM
ESALADUANE Offline

Here's some expanded analysis of Mandrake's situation:

http://ben.reser.org/rants/

Old 01-19-2003, 01:08 PM
beeboy Offline

Good reading. I wet my feet with Mandrake and will miss it if it goes under. But I honestly believe something better will arise from the ashes. The linux community is growing. And with it grows support. Its like a avalanche - darned hard to stop. Sure, its not a business like Microsoft. It was never intended to be. It was given to the world freely and look where its gone. If I were Microsoft, I would be shaken in my boots. Who's going to buy Windows once Linux is up to speed?

Old 01-19-2003, 02:17 PM
ESALADUANE Offline

I'm not sure I know what bringing "Linux up to speed" means. For people who aren't developers or interested in code, the main attractions of Mandrake/Linux are that the product is cheap/free and it's "not Microsoft". Being cheap/free reduces badly needed revenue (Mandrake got money by bringing in investors who now want their money back) and being "not Microsoft" is not a coherent goal with any focus or direction.

Money, focus/direction and knowledgeable people who care about their product are fundamentally necessary for them to succeed. They have knowledgeable people who care about their product, but don't have the other two.

Old 01-19-2003, 02:45 PM
beeboy Offline

"up to speed". Windows is a good product, period. Linux is still not for the first time user and is not as user- friendly to the experienced. But it is getting closer.
Being "not microsoft" and "cheap" is not enough, I agree. The product still has to compete(and linux does in many ways). Lets face it - how good is word of mouth compared to millions sunk into advertising and publicity.
I was in a small shop the other day and to my surprise they were selling a system pre-loaded with Mandrake 9. I asked them if many were selling. The answer was no.
One year ago, I would enter a shop or store and enquire about linux and they would look at me like I had two heads. Thats some progress.

Old 01-19-2003, 03:14 PM
ESALADUANE Offline

Your right. I've have also noticed that Linux has a lot more respect now than ever before.

Just when that respect might have been translated into new users, the publicity around Lindows and Mandrake will probably scare off people who might otherwise have tried it.

Although, maybe not, we've only been focusing on the bad news, Linux has also had good news. We've also only been talking about individual desktop users. There are corporations and even governments that seriously want to get away from any dependence on Microsoft.

You mentioned earlier that Microsoft should be "shaking in their boots". They've certainly changed the tone of their public statements about open-source.

Even though I don't use Linux, I'm finding this a facinating subject to follow.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Embolism Offline

mandrake was never my favourite but as is plain to deduce from fiscal statistics RedHat and Fedora core have very good financial records and are making billions.
Fedora 15 desktop is very good and is free ,I dual boot with xp all my linux and run a very sweet system working off both o/s simultaneously for the most part,getting free automatic updates off linux and any application i like to use through RPMfusion or sourceforge.net.
Microsoft have for years now beenin collaboration with novell suse and others to try and pick the brains of the open source community without which they would have sunk into obscurity years ago ,but still they ship over bloated unfinished operating systems win7 based on vista and still not nor ever going to be ultimate and such operating systems are Uber expensive ,I can build a good gaming pc with good graphics for less than win7 ultimate,so be egregious and not a simp ,get Linux and don't be a wimp =)