SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Other Operating Systems
User Name
Password

Eternal Debate...

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 03-14-2003, 06:53 PM
arenium Offline

Eternal Debate...

Ok, windows is going out the door for me *cheers in background*. I've had enough Micro$oft around my house, screwing things up...

anyways, the only distro I am a little familiar with is RH 7.3. My father and his business partners are gurus with it and are currently developing enterprise grade software using RH 7.1-8. The question is, while I'm a newb to linux, I have LOTS of first hand help available and am very eager to start doing everything in shell and toying around with mysql and playing around some more with the kernel and setting up webserver...the list goes on.

Anyhow, RH 8 seems to be the winxp of linux (i mean this in a good way), while Mandrake is win2k (again, meant by market hold). Which OS is right for me?

BTW: i plan to install on a seperate HD so if i really get messy or screw around too much in Glade, I still got 40gb of winblows

Old 03-17-2003, 09:18 PM
beeboy Offline

You get everything you need in Redhat and Mandrake and more. If you have lots of Redhat help - go Redhat. Personally, I think Mandrake is superior. I have and use both.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Embolism Offline

xp and dual boot with fedora 15 if you want best of both worlds

Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Embolism Offline

Fedora is a free offshoot of Red Hat (RH) for standard desktops,where as RH Enterprise is more for the buisness market.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Embolism Offline

Have used suse,mandrake,ubuntu,Red Hat,Kanopix,kanottix and dozens of other debian and linux distros from DSL to Trackback and for an easy ,stable and newb friendly desktop go for Fedora everytime.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Embolism Offline

if you load windows xp on first then put in Fedora it will install and partition and dual boot system so that you can use either or both o/s from fedora simultaneously