SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Other Operating Systems
User Name
Password

uninstalling fedora UGH

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average. Display Modes

Old 02-18-2007, 03:27 PM
mozzarella Offline

uninstalling fedora UGH

i have a dell dimension 8400 computer that has fedora 5 on it and i've been working on trying to get windows xp back on it. i've fdisked, gparted, boot and nuked, fdisked through linux rescue, reformatted the drive who knows how many times, but each time i run the xp setup it stops and says that it cant recognize any hdd and tells me to check if its installed properly/connected.

when i was running fdisk through the fedora 5 cd #1, it says this:

Quote:
The number of cylinders on this disk is set to 19452, there is nothing wrong with that, but its larger than 1024 and could in certain setups cause problems with:

1) Software that runs at boot time
2) Booting and partitioning software from other os's

could this have something to do with the problem? im completely stuck, i've tried so many different things

Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Embolism Offline

Duh!!,use kanotix live cd and use partition manager change partition to fat 32 and save close and save fstab when asked log out of kanotix and chuck in xp disc it will load unless your hdd is damaged in some way and when xp gets to partitioning dialogue have it format in NTFS so that you can manipulate files larger than 4gb,easy peasey. (:^D)

Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Embolism Offline

after installing windows insert latest Fedora o/s if you wish to dual boot add RPM fusion GPG key and update prompt at boot will allow you choice of operating systems or if you boot into Fedora you can use the windows partition as you would a second HDD and drag data between operating systems effectively working on both operating systems simultaneously.