SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Other Operating Systems
User Name
Password

Going for Linux?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 PM
supersocks Offline

Going for Linux?

Hi!
I'm thinking about installing Linux on an old computer I got after my dad. I was just wondering if there is anything I need to think about. Can I use any hardware for Linux? Can I just install and assume it will work?

I'm going for Ubuntu. Good choice or bad?

I hope someone can help me. I'm kinda new to this..
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
jombeewoof Offline

You can install linux on just about anything you can think of. http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/...5/badger.shtml
Depending on the hardware Ubuntu should be fine, if the hardware is really old, you might want to try the slightly lighter weight xubuntu. Same basic operating system, just uses xfce instead of gnome.

Ubuntu probably does have the best user support, and is a great beginner distro. Fedora is another, but might take a bit newer hardware. Either way, the only way to figure out what is right for you is to jump in the pool.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Embolism Offline

fedora is cool!!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Embolism Offline

As for support the latest distro 12 might not be the best for you to start on as although it loaded from live cd perfectly i had to work around the intial updates with yum as opposed the default package management.
No issues with fedora 11`s package manager and once you download gpg key from rpm fusion its all accesible and sweet.
If you are not a complete noob fedora 12 is just as easy and the initial updates are easy in yum.
Workaround for updates:1 download and intall gpg key from rpm fusion site.
2:go to terminal type su and then password upon prompt.
3:type yum install update
then it should al come flooding in as far as system updates are concerned ,if you wish to have any extra packages after that just go to rpm fusion and check through available packages and either install using yum in terminal or use in built package manager its a snap and from my point of view after many years of different linux and debian distros is one of the easiest.Amongst others have been kanottix,knoppix,suse,ubuntu, red hat,fedora and others but my latest have been fedora 8 through to 12 as they all have proved exceptionally easy to dual boot and integrated with old and new software on my machines,good luck in whichever you intend to install and use.

Last edited by Embolism : 04-29-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 AM
harry12 Offline

There is a "small" Ubuntu available:-
. Ubuntu Netbook Edition v. 10.04

I tried it on an old Dell in "Live" mode, (running only from the CD-ROM) and it was quite respectable.
This might be better for an older pc with limited memory.
If you can, change the HDD- a lot easier before the OS is installed.
From what I read, Ubuntu isn't trying to be minimal, rather it wants to work first time...as any software should.
Provided you have very standard PC bits all will be OK, even optical mice.
However, "Printers" are a real pain, as are Scanners (worse I hear). Yet the Linux community seems to overlook the printing issue.

Can't really blame them as most "pros" have access to "PostScript" enabled printers (add about £100 to a printer) and these are easier with Linux. I read things are getting better, but will believe it when I read it here!
Let#s know how it works out.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Embolism Offline

Printer issues

Have not yet had your issues with Printers Harry and have found all my drivers easily through fedora and RPM fusion which incorperates other packages from the previously known fedora/red hat sites like livna.
I have tried Ubuntu and found it not as good as fedora in my experience as well as other distros like BLAG and of course Debian,currently working on Fedora 13 and it has only got better as far as I am concerned.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Embolism Offline

It might be worth noting that live cd`s do not always carry the full driver and package lists of the repositorys, but merely a base system set to get you up and running and to run at optimal it is required that you update your system not from live cd, but from repository to get latest packages and updates.
There are many different types of printers and not enough space on a live cd for them all to fit .

Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Embolism Offline

fedora 15 is out now

Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM
gewone Offline

In fact, Slackware is a great alternative.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:37 PM
animefreak Offline

I have an acer aspire netbook. It originally had winVista I did not like it and switched to ubuntu. I really liked it but due to my job I had to switch back to windows. The main reason that I had to switch back to win is because there are certain programs that my work requires that does not run well on unix platforms despite having wine to run the win programs. It was great but I switched to xp and I like it. I am thinking about partitioning the hard drive then installing ubuntu on the second half.

I recommend splitting the hard drive if you have space just to try it.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Embolism Offline

I use windows XP and Fedora ,if you install xp and install the fedora disc it will auto partition for dual boot and you have the option to use either O/S on boot,if on Linux you can transfer data to windows partition as you like and it is easy to add repositories through RPM fusion after initial updates are done. (:^D)

Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Embolism Offline

I found slackware made me type too much when last I tried it whereas Fedora is very user friendly