SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Software > Software Problems and Useful Utilities
User Name
Password

Block images in Outlook Express

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 01-20-2005, 09:53 AM
maggie1012 Offline

Block images in Outlook Express

Can anyone shed light on how to get the following in Outlook Express please?

Tools - Options - Security - Download Images - Block Images.

I can Block Images on my PC but not on my friend's system (we're both using OE6). Perhaps she's missing an update? If so, how would I go about getting the update? If not, any other suggestions

All help gratefully accepted

Thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 10:17 AM
pip22 Offline

Yes I don't have that option either in OE6. I'm guessing that's because I'm running XP with SP1, whereas you're probably running XP with SP2. SP2 included some new security updates for IE and OE. However, SP2 also caused a lot of problems to a lot of people (including me) which is why I reverted to SP1. I don't think the OE images-option is available as a separate update (that is, without SP2), but I couldn't swear to it. If I find out it is available separately, I'll let you know. I definitely would NOT recommend your friend installs the SP2 update 'cos he/she might wish I'd never mentioned it! I'll do some research unless someone else beats me to it!

Old 01-22-2005, 10:23 AM
maggie1012 Offline

Block Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip22
Yes I don't have that option either in OE6. I'm guessing that's because I'm running XP with SP1, whereas you're probably running XP with SP2. SP2 included some new security updates for IE and OE. However, SP2 also caused a lot of problems to a lot of people (including me) which is why I reverted to SP1. I don't think the OE images-option is available as a separate update (that is, without SP2), but I couldn't swear to it. If I find out it is available separately, I'll let you know. I definitely would NOT recommend your friend installs the SP2 update 'cos he/she might wish I'd never mentioned it! I'll do some research unless someone else beats me to it!

Thank you! This is what I thought. When I installed SP2 (having run SP1 for a time), that was the end of it. I had to wipe the drive eventually and start all over again. I've been putting off installing SP2 on her system. Now I definitely won't. If you find out more, I'll look forward to hearing from you.

All the best.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:40 AM
pip22 Offline

That option is definitely only available as an SP2 update. This Microsoft web-page confirms it : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843018

Glad to be of help.

Pip