SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Software > Software Problems and Useful Utilities
User Name
Password

MS Office tries contacting server after copy-paste

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes

Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Icelocis Offline

MS Office tries contacting server after copy-paste

Hi ,
I have recently installed MS Office Enterprise 2007.

My OS is Windows XP Professional SP2.

The problem im facing is that whenever I copy information from a website and try to paste it in Word/Excel/Powerpoint.I get the following message in the status bar-

"Contacting the server for information .Press Esc to cancel."

Then my firewall(Comodo Pro 3) tells me that WinWord is trying to connect to a loopback network within a certain IP range.

If I allow access then the paste works otherwise if i block access MSWord hangs and I have to press Esc to restore.

Not sure what this is but it is very annoying as I cannot copy and paste from any website because of this.

I have also tried to copy and paste text from notepad which doesnt seem to have any psoblems.

Last edited by Icelocis : 11-28-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 AM
pip22 Offline

This is normal behaviour when you paste data from a web page into an 'internet aware' application (all Office applications are internet-aware).
Notepad is not internet-aware (ie it can't connect to the internet so no request is made).

Interestingly, this seems to happen only when you copy from Internet Explorer into an Office document. I use Opera as my main browser and you can copy/paste into Word from Opera without 'winword.exe' requesting internet access. I daresay that applies to copying from Firefox too, but I can't confirm that as I don't use it.

There's evidently some correlation going on between Microsoft applications here. But it is possible to 'break' that by using a different web-browser.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Icelocis Offline

Talking that tip worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip22
This is normal behaviour when you paste data from a web page into an 'internet aware' application (all Office applications are internet-aware).
Notepad is not internet-aware (ie it can't connect to the internet so no request is made).

Interestingly, this seems to happen only when you copy from Internet Explorer into an Office document. I use Opera as my main browser and you can copy/paste into Word from Opera without 'winword.exe' requesting internet access. I daresay that applies to copying from Firefox too, but I can't confirm that as I don't use it.

There's evidently some correlation going on between Microsoft applications here. But it is possible to 'break' that by using a different web-browser.

That tip worked..I started using opera and now i do not get the error.Than you so much!!!
Just one question though ,when this problem occured I changed the copy paste settings form word options> advanced, thinking there was a problem there.

Now if I copy and paste from a website the font is still the normal word format that I use.Can you tell what should be the settings if i need to retain the original font?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 AM
B_J Offline

Tell Internet Explorer to work offline

I found if I tell Internet Explorer (IE) to work offline (an option in its File menu) then Word stops trying to connect to the page you are pasting.

One is still able to use Firefox (or other browsers, presumably) to browse while IE is working offline. You can even close the IE window and it remembers the setting.

There must be a registery setting for this. Can anyone find what it is?

(I'm running WinXP)

Regards
BJ

Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
phillipcorcoran Offline

Well done mate, this thread is three years old!!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 PM
B_J Offline

Cheers. I figure you early adopters have suffered enough.