SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Software > Software Problems and Useful Utilities
User Name
Password

Problem watching video with BS media player.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 2.63 average. Display Modes

Old 04-26-2013, 03:26 AM
Eugen6 Offline

Red face Problem watching video with BS media player.

I have installed BS media player v.2.62 on my computer and I started to watch big video files (greater than 700 MB).But when I watch some action scenes (which means that there a lot of action on the screen) the video
begin to accelerate.Then when is a normal scene the video is normal.I have
proved it both with BS player Pro and BS player Free and the problem is the
same.My computer parameters are as follows:
Processor:1 Ghz
Ram:384 Mb
Video Card:64 Mb of Ram
I have tested the same problem with a powerful computer and the video is
smooth.
When I install BS player it downloads all codecs for playing media files.
Can anyone help me how to solve this issue and be able to play the video files on my computer.Any help will be grateful.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 AM
Ant Offline

Hi,

It's not so much the file size which determines how the video plays, but resolution and bitrate (basically how much information is in each image and how quickly that information changes), which can affect the playback quality.

Things you need to consider are the speed of your computer and quality of your video card, the video resolution and its bitrate to determine how to improve playback.

If there's more information coming in than your computer or Video player can handle, then problems such as deterioration in quality or skipping can occur.

Generally, I can play videos in 720 (HD) & 1080 (full HD) perfectly, with no issues, in VLC Media Player, which is completely free. My computer spec, however, is quite a bit better than yours, which by today's standards is quite low.

In your case, I would suggest you either upgrade your computer entirely, or invest in more RAM and a newer Video Card, as you don't have enough RAM or a good enough card to improve your playback quality by software alone.

Download VLC PlayerHERE. Give it a go and see if it makes any difference to your playback.
Thanks aren't always necessary, but are always appreciated.
There are only two men I trust with my computer. One's me. The other isn't you.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Digerati Offline

I don't even think resolution and bitrate play a factor here but rather, the problem is your system resources - specifically, your tiny amount of RAM. 348Mb of RAM is barely enough for just XP - which I am assuming your using because 32-bit Windows 7 requires 1Gb minimums.

It takes very little CPU or graphics horsepower to simply view videos, but it does take a lot of RAM so your system can buffer the data in fast RAM and not rely on the Page File, located on the slow hard drive.

So I agree, your biggest problem is your lack of sufficient system RAM. Your 64Mb graphics card (assuming it is a separate card, and not integrated) does not provide much in graphics RAM either, so a better graphics card would likely help too.

But also, being critically low on free disk space can greatly affect video viewing performance. This is especially true with low amounts of RAM and high Page File utilization.

How much free disk space do you have? How fragmented is the drive? If low on space (and I generally recommend at least 10Gb free) you need to clean out the clutter, uninstall program you don't use, and/or buy more disk space.