SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Software > Software Problems and Useful Utilities
User Name
Password

Paper Size for printing Hallmark Greeting

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 2.62 average. Display Modes

Old 12-17-2013, 07:30 PM
NYfile Offline

Paper Size for printing Hallmark Greeting

Hi,

Thought I would throw this one at you to see what you guys would think about it.

I bought this photo card software - Hallmark Card Studio Photo Card Edition 1.0.0.5. At that time I had a Canon Printer that had paper feed from the top. After much struggling, I found out that this software does not work with printers that have the feed from the top. It said so in their instructions. (It would be nice if it said this right on the box, but that is another story) I needed to put a letter size page in and then cut it to the card size.

Recently I purchased a HP Officejet 4620 printer which has the feed from the front/bottom. Not for that reason - wasn't thinking about the Hallmark software. But I did revisit the Hallmark software and thought Ahhh - finally I can use it the right way. So I tried using it, but the HP printer did not have the page size of 4 x 8.

Just out of curiosity, I tried to print something and choose my old Canon printer which is still installed, and it had the 4 x 8 size.

So, basically, this software product does not work on TWO printers! It won't work on the Canon because of the top feed, and it won't work on the HP because the HP does not have the 4 x 8 size. Brilliant!

Anyway, any thoughts on getting the HP to print 4 x 8?

Thanks.
NYF.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Digerati Offline

Quote:
It said so in their instructions. (It would be nice if it said this right on the box, but that is another story)
I agree, on the box would be nice. That said, we can typically download instructions and owner manuals for just about anything, before buying. I always recommend this for new computer builders so they can learn about mounting their new motherboard in their new case, and connect their new PSU BEFORE all the parts arrive.

Your printer manual is here. Note starting on page 143, it shows the media sizes it supports. I don't see 5x8 but there are some that are close. I also note on page 20, it says printing on custom sized media is not supported on this printer.

So, it appears you will need to buy some new card stock if you want to print your own cards.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:33 PM
NYfile Offline

I agree with you too that people should investigate things first. However, this was a printing software. How can it not work on all printers? And how can some printers not support the sizes? Well, I guess it's possible, and I learned from experience.

So, I cut some 5x8 (I think you meant to say 4x8 in your response. 4x8 is the one that HP does not have) paper, and printed the 4x8 cards on them. I had to change the software printer settings to 5x8. Then I just cut the result down to 4x8 to fit in the envelope. But wait till you hear what happened next, lol.

This worked fine for portrait printing, but when I tried to print a horizontal greeting card, I needed an 8x5 size on the printer, which it did not have. The software does not let you switch from portrait to landscape. If you try to, it defaults back to portrait. It's getting comical.

Live and learn.
NYF.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Digerati Offline

Quote:
How can it not work on all printers? And how can some printers not support the sizes? Well, I guess it's possible, and I learned from experience.
Like graphics drivers, one driver (software package) is use to support many graphics cards and the software will enable/disable features depending on the capability of that particular hardware.

In this way, the graphics hardware makers (NVIDIA and AMD, for example) only need to develop and maintain one software program, instead of dozens or 100s. Same with printer software/drivers.

Printing devices are highly mechanical devices. Some are designed primarily as photo printing devices, some as office document printing devices. It makes sense to me the paper handling mechanisms would handle only certain and a limited number of paper stock sizes, otherwise the mechanical complexity (and potentials for problems) would be too great - or expensive.

And note that HP is an "OfficeJet", not a "Photosmart". That said, not sure 4 x 8 is that common - even on photo printers. See common photo print sizes.

I did mean 4 x 8 but regardless, I don't see that listed. 5 x 8 is listed under Cards (index), but not Photo media.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 PM
NYfile Offline

I guess I can see your point about different printers being used for different things. That makes sense. I still don't get why the Hallmark program would not work with a top feed printer.

I wanted to get a printer that was good for both photo and text. I choose this one because it was rated by consumer reports as very good for both (but not exceptional) and it fit in the space I had. If it was not for the space, I probably would have got another Canon.

Thanks again.
NYF.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Digerati Offline

Maybe you should try to get a refund from Hallmark and go with another product that does work with top feed printers.

That said, with the paper tray on the bottom can't you put your card stock in the tray? That's how I print envelopes.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 PM
NYfile Offline

Hi,

The software is too old to return. I just put it aside when it didn't work with the Canon. The only reason i revisited it was because I unintentionally bough a front feed printer.

I can put the stock in the front feed printer, but there is no option for the size that the Hallmark software wants. I can put put a different size paper in and then cut it, but I was able to do that before even with the Canon. Is that what you are asking? Workarounds, yes, but just easier if I could use the stock that came with the software.

Thanks again.
NYF.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Digerati Offline

Quote:
Is that what you are asking?
Yes. I am afraid if you want this automated, you will need to buy a different printer that supports more advanced paper handling features.