SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Software > Software Problems and Useful Utilities
User Name
Password

Video Capture - Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.57 average. Display Modes

Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 PM
NYfile Offline

Video Capture - Advice

Hi,

I will be upgrading my computer soon, and want some recommendations.

I currently have a Win-TV product that I use for video capture. It is also a TV Tuner. I guess this time, I really don't need a TV Tuner but more of a video capture. My cable company took away the option of plugging the coax directly into the TV, and now (like most companies) requires a box for each TV. Part of the digital conversion I believe. I haven't really watched too much TV on my computer or recorded any on the computer anyway. Currently with my Win-TV product, I split the cable and plugged into Win-TV. I can only watch on the computer whatever is on the TV, but that is fine. The product I am using is a pci that I installed right on the mother board. It is pretty old, but works, but still thinking of upgrading.

So, I am thinking I can do the same thing without a Tuner being involved and just a video capture device, is that correct? Perhaps instead of the coax, can I do this with RCA cables or something better like HDMI? I just want to capture some videos from VHS and DVDs, and still have the option of recording TV, and creating DVDs in case I want to go that route.

I am pretty sure that video cards do not come with an input for video capture, or at least not affordable ones, is that correct?

Would you recommend continuing with Win-TV or are there other options?

Thanks.
NYFile.