SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 7
User Name
Password

Using programs from an old PC

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average. Display Modes

Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 PM
dcstim Offline

Using programs from an old PC

If I buy a new laptop and take the hard drive out of my old one to use as an additional drive, can I access the programs from it to use on the new one?

Hope this makes sense!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 AM
Ant Offline

Hi,

In 99% of cases, no you can't.

Almost all programs also install data in places other than the installation directory (the Registry for instance), where it expects to find it when run, so they need to be installed from within your current OS.

There are a very few smaller programs which do not do this, and can be run without installation, but probably not the ones you want to run.
Thanks aren't always necessary, but are always appreciated.
There are only two men I trust with my computer. One's me. The other isn't you.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 AM
harry12 Offline

Agree, it's a nice thought (having paid for something. . . ) however, the Public is being cheated at every turn, so you have to get used to it - or buy cheaper versions so the loss is less of an issue.

If you bought programs on CD then these may install - I hav some old faithfuls which continue to work - unfortunately the co was taken-over by a software house that can't continue the good work (it seems), so the new versions are hardly any improvement and somewhat expensive.

Unfortunately Software houses are moving to "Downloads" so you don't even have the disc-option ( OR they insist in on-line "registration" - which is much the same thing ).

What you can do is to rid the older laptop of all the garbage . . . and try to send data to an external drive, so the internal HDD is kept free. Update any RAM capacity and ypu should get a few more years out of it. A "bonus" is that whilst PC#1 is grinding away, you can use PC#2 to get on with: sorting files, printing etc. - so your overall-speed should improve

. . . . but it can get confusing -

Good Luck.