SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 7
User Name
Password

Annoying message

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.43 average. Display Modes

Old 04-26-2014, 12:23 AM
bombero42 Offline

Annoying message

Hi, I have a Window 7 computer that I built myself a few years ago. It works great but lately I get this message every time I start the computer just after Windows is done loading.
"Choose the program you want to open this file"
"File: PROGRAM"
I have no idea what file it is trying to open. No matte what program I choose none of them open it.
How do I see what file it is?

Thanks
Alex

Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Digerati Offline

And does everything work fine after that? Is W7 fully updated? Have you scanned for malware?

If everything works fine after the error, the system is clean and fully updated, then my "guess" is somehow, you got an entry in your Startup folder or stuck in the registry with a "run" command for a file called "PROGRAM" - with no .3 (dot-three) extension. That is, it is just "program", not "program.txt" or "program.jpg", for example - so Windows does not have a "file association" for filenames with no .3 extensions.

You might try looking in your Start Menu > Startup folder and make sure you understand everything there, if anything. Those are just shortcuts so anything can be deleted with no harm.

If "program" is not listed there, then I recommend running File Association Fixer (ignore the unavoidable advertisement link to "Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance").

Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 AM
bombero42 Offline

Hi Digerati, and thanks for your reply. Yes, Windows 7 is up to date and runs fine. Windows defender found no problems.
The only thing in the startup folder is desktop.ini a 1 KB file.
Since I cannot find the program or file, I see no way to use File association fixer?

Alex

Old 04-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Digerati Offline

Understand Windows Defender in Windows 7 is just a spyware scanner. WD in W7 does NOT scan for viruses, worms, Trojans, or other malware.

WD in Windows 8 is a full anti-malware solution. For W7, you need to run Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) or a 3rd party alternative.

Quote:
The only thing in the startup folder is desktop.ini a 1 KB file.
That should not be a problem though you can safely delete those desktop.ini files. Windows will recreate them as needed.

That said, do you see that when navigating the Start Menu? Or when you drilled down through your user appdata folders? You should not see them in your Start Menu.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 PM
bombero42 Offline

I did a malware scan and found nothing. Deleted every desktop.ini I found.
Still no change.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Digerati Offline

If this happened in just the last few days, you might try System Restore to the day before it first started.

If comfortable looking in the Registry, you may look for a "Run" command that is calling up "Program". However, make sure you back up the registry before making any changes.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM
bombero42 Offline

It's been longer than I have restore points for. I see nothing that has " run" in the registry. Guess I'll just have to live with the problem.
Thanks

Old 05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
bombero42 Offline

I solved the problem. I bought a program called Registry Kit and it found 1800 plus problems. Of course, it did not tell me which one was the cause. I just asked it to fix all of them. On restart the problem was gone.
I usually don't like buying programs on the net because they often promise more than the give and sometimes cause other problems. But in this case it seemed to work.