SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 8
User Name
Password

1st Post

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes

Old 03-02-2012, 03:02 AM
DaveC2003 Offline

Talking 1st Post

I am humbled to be the first to post a comment on this thread

What is everyone's views on Windows 8 Consumer Preview???

Windows 7 Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Ant Offline

Mate, I like my desktops. I like my mouse and my keyboard. I still like XP which runs 90% of what I ask it to and I have Windows 7 for what it doesn't.

I might have a touch screen phone, but I use it for old-fashioned stuff like talking and smsing. I'm not too interested in "mobile computing" and looking for a million "apps" to download and waving a huge tablet thing in front of everyone to show how wealthy I am or how cool I consider myself.

It seems to be primarily aimed at (or hopes to steer us all towards), mobile computing, promoting utter reliability on internet connectivity and novelty eye candy over practicality (and a really meaningless and unnecessary new operating system to take advantage of hardware the last "upgrade" of Windows was supposed to).

But hey, maybe that's just me.
Thanks aren't always necessary, but are always appreciated.
There are only two men I trust with my computer. One's me. The other isn't you.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
bookworm Offline
Sound Queen

Ditto, but did treat myself to a Kindle, was running out of space to store my books

Barbara MCP

Friends are
Gods apology
for relations.

It's not what you know, it's who you know ( especially the members of the Software Tips&Tricks Forum )

Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Monty007 Offline

Get it while you can http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...nsumer-preview

This is the way software will be developed for home and domain use from now on as MS has said it will not be "dumbing it down for corporations so we better get use to it. I can see a lot of user training in the future.

Personally I will be getting a Win 8 tablet as I already have an iPhone and don't really want a iPad at this satge.
SQL 2008 (2778)
Windows Server 2008 (6430)

Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 AM
mo21oo Offline

I wanna Downgrade back to Windows 7 :'(

About two weeks ago I downloaded the Windows 8 trial for my PC (HORRIBLE IDEA!). I now want to downgrade back to windows 7, i downloaded a torrent and burned it onto a DVD. But when i restarted the computer the windows 7 setup doesn't come up. I've tried this with two different torrents. Please don't give me the "Just buy another windows 7" because i already paid for my previous one and i'm not willing to pay again. Also fro the 2nd attempt i put the maximum speed for the burn at 4x speed. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
snowmonkey Offline

Thumbs down

I have beta tested most of Windows OS products.....I'm don't see corporate IT adopting Windows 8 anytime soon.....it more looks like gaming console than usual MS OS.....unless corporate version has major changes than what we have seen with consumer's release, I don't see it being very successful.

I think MS is trying to immitate OSX rather than coming up with new stuff.....best place for MS to look is Linux Distro web site....CentOS and Fedora have very neat features which I wish Windows OS would have.

Over all, I rate it a 5 out of 10 and personally I would not upgrade my PC to Windows 8.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM
SamSteel Offline

OS seems to be a bit flighty. Not much in the way of user-friendly navigation. Built primarily for touchscreen. In that sense it seems to be a very friendly OS. Still researching the innards of the OS though. Prefer XP and Windows 7 myself.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Embolism Offline

I tried it wiped my Arse with it and removed it,TBH it was like a windows attempt at Linux and if windows cannot do better after working with Suse then they should really not bother,as a distro Suse was pretty pants as well so next time they wish to emulate a Linux distro they should pick A better looking one.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Embolism Offline

Having XP dual boot with Fedora I have to agree with Snowmonkey in regard to the Fedora comment,as we know Suse (novella) was in partnership with Microsoft and it was also one of the worst of the 38 different Linux/Debian systems I have tried to date,obviously they never really learnt anything of value from the partnership.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 PM
snooker Offline

I can see this OS to be the next big one , not now but once they get all the bugs out of it . I can see were MS is thinking . Just think of having all your gadgets using the same OS . Wouldn't it be much easier to use and share stuff ? Also less to spend on .

Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Embolism Offline

Interconnectivity

The more things it allows for connection to the more things can go wrong a migratory worm could potentially infect everything plugged /connected to it and a good coder could write a migratory self replicating worm that would not only bend over your win8 but everything else that was windows based that was connected to it,since this has been proven as far back as win xp one would consider telling Microsoft and Mr Gates to K.I.S.S as more modular is safer especially since windows is the most targeted operating system in the world.
Since the advent of Microsoft Fusion Centres spying on Win7 and win8 the extra connectivity proves to be the down fall of privacy for the end user and for those that rely on windows firewall and Microsoft essentials and defender I hope your not doing anything naughty or running a non Kosher O/S or you will be on the naughty list .

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM
rippled nipple Offline

i tried it on a virtual machine and thats where it stayed

Old 05-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Ant Offline

Interesting Article on ft.com.

ARTICLE LINK

Spookily similar to my post above.
Thanks aren't always necessary, but are always appreciated.
There are only two men I trust with my computer. One's me. The other isn't you.