SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

Can't boot up in safe mode

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes

Old 11-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Brandi Offline

Can't boot up in safe mode

I loaded AVG virus scan on my computer and when it restarted it detected a trojan horse virus named downloader.apropo.d and gave me the options to reboot and restart system from a virus-free diskette or to continue at own risk. I am unable to select either option. I shut the computer off and have tried to restart in safe mode, but when it brings up the option to, I cannot move the cursor down to safe mode so it automatically boots up normally which just takes me back to the AVG virus detected screen. I thought maybe I should try to restart from an emergency disk but, the floppy drive doesn't work, and even if it did I do not have the floppy. If I could just boot up in safe mode I think I could go from there, but I can't. Any suggestions?

Old 11-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Play_The_0dds Offline
Risk it all

does the keyboard work, if so use the tab key to highlight any check boxes, the use the space bar to select or check the boxes then click tab to hightlight ok or finish and hit enter, or hold alt and hit F4 to close the screen and try to get past it.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Brandi Offline

I tried pressing the tab, space and the F4-alt but still nothing. When the computer is starting I just hold the Ctrl key down until I get the boot up screen but I get an error that says 1d 301 keyboard error which I understand means that the keyboard has a stuck key--but that is only because I am holding it down. If I don't hold it down then I don't get the DOS boot up screen. I tried another keyboard but got the same thing.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Play_The_0dds Offline
Risk it all

try tapping the F8 key, dont hold it down or it will give the stuck key error also. it should get you to the boot options.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Brandi Offline

F8 doesn't work at all--have been trying that all afternoon--the only key that I have found that will bring me to the boot up screen is the Ctrl key.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Miz Offline

Try F5, which should take you straight into Safe Mode. If it doesn't but takes you to the Boot Menu instead, hit F5 again.

If the virus detection screen offers the option of "Allow access," take that option. That should let the boot process proceed and let you delete the file once you get it booted up.

Old 11-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Brandi Offline

I have tried booting up using every F key and none of them work. The only thing that will even get me to the boot menu is holding down the Ctrl key--but then it creates a keyboard error and then it seems my keyboard doesn't work after that so I can't select the Safe Mode option. When I try using anything other than the Ctrl key all it does is take me to the AVG scanner screen. And all that happens then is that it and does a scan and tells me that I should be able to select C to continue at own risk or R to reboot using a virus free disk, and yet, it is as if it doesn't even recognize anything from my keyboard from that point. I even tried using a different keyboard--but the same thing happened. Is there any other way to get into Safe Mode?

Old 11-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Miz Offline

If you're using a USB keyboard, that may be the source of the problem. If you can get into the BIOS...and how you do that depends on which BIOS and/or make computer you have....enable USB support there.

Old 11-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Brandi Offline

That sounds like it may be the case. So, if my USB keyboard is the source of the problem, what kind of keyboard do I need and where would I get one? Then, after I get it, what should I do next?

Old 02-11-2006, 07:10 AM
The_gARgyRLe Offline

Thumbs up Solution: USB Keyboard stops working during startup, Can't Select Safe Mode

I have been having the same problem for hours , & am happy to report that I found a way to get around having to get an adaptor for my USB keyboard . I, too, was only able to hit DEL in the beginning of startup, but nothing registered from my keyboard after that (i.e. couldn't hit F8, select Safe Mode, etc.). I changed the BIOS setting for enabling USB devices, & found the info here: http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editor...5w02.asp&guid=
Good luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 PM
robex Offline

Problem booting in safemode or any mode!

Am using XP, for a long while now my Desk top computer would not boot just beeps (1 beep about 5 sec apart) I took out the battery on the motherboard then put it back added 1 stick of memory(I think 32) from a older computer and to my surprise no more beeping and it starts and then go to the screen that gives the options to select safe mode etc,

But here is the problem: it will not start normally, or start with Last known config.., or in safemode etc just keep coming back to the screen with these options. What can I do what is the problem, help! am no expert!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Disk_Contented Offline
Temporary Ban

You only have 32 megs of ram total on the board? XP needs twice as much minimum before it will work.
Quality, not quantity.
Prevention is better than cure.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 PM
futuregeek Offline

USB or WireLess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz
If you're using a USB keyboard...

It might not work either if you are using a wireless keyboard. That was the problem I was having. Try a PS2 Keyboard. Hope it helps.

FutureGeek