Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

Windows 98 se logon password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 04-05-2005, 06:54 PM
irratation Offline

Question Windows 98 se logon password

Ok here's the thing. I put a password at the logon screen. But if you click cancel it still loads windows. I can't remember how to set it so you have to put in the password to logon. I've went to many sites looking for a solution, but all I found was how to make it not show up or put a password on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
U.S. Patriot Offline

win98 logon

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratation
Ok here's the thing. I put a password at the logon screen. But if you click cancel it still loads windows. I can't remember how to set it so you have to put in the password to logon. I've went to many sites looking for a solution, but all I found was how to make it not show up or put a password on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Win98 isn't like winxp. Even if you put a password on it all you have to do is hit cancel or enter button and it will let you in. Unless you went in and changed something, if that's possible.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:50 PM
irratation Offline

It's possible, but I've had it locked on an older comp I used to have and cancel wouldn't let you in at all.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
U.S. Patriot Offline

Quote:
It's possible, but I've had it locked on an older comp I used to have and cancel wouldn't let you in at all.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about windows 98 and not a older comp.
Passwords on win98 only sets up a users preferences and desktop settings when more than one person uses the same system. Passwords can be set up by clicking start\settings\control panel\passwords.
If you do find a way to put in a user\password that will keep people from getting on a win98 without the proper user\password like XP, please do post it here.

Last edited by U.S. Patriot : 04-05-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:39 PM
irratation Offline

I am talking about win 98. It was an older comp i got it to lock up on,but i don't remember how I did it. It could've been from the 7000+ viruses found out I had on it. But if i do find out how I will post it here.

Old 04-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Miz Offline

Passwording the BIOS will demand a password be entered before Windows ever starts to load and cannot be bypassed.

If you forget a BIOS password, you'll have to remove the battery from the motherboard long enough for the BIOS settings, which includes the password, to be "forgotten." The time that takes varies and can be anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. Older motherboards required messing with jumpers which can be very hazardous to your computer's health if you don't know exactly what jumpers to put where.

When the battery is replaced and the computer booted, the BIOS will load its default values.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
irratation Offline

I know all about the bios password. The thing is on my older comp I used to have I had somehow locked it up at the logon screen. It was with win98. It could've been from all the viruses it had on it also but everything ran fine even with the 7000+ viruses. (norton was the program that came up with that figure) If there is no other way of doing it then I might go ahead and set the bios.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
MJaeson Offline

hint

Network password and Windows Logon

Old 04-30-2005, 02:19 AM
LooseChippings Offline

Quote:
I know all about the bios password. The thing is on my older comp I used to have I had somehow locked it up at the logon screen. It was with win98. It could've been from all the viruses it had on it also but everything ran fine even with the 7000+ viruses. (norton was the program that came up with that figure) If there is no other way of doing it then I might go ahead and set the bios.
With 7000 reported viruses it would be just as easy to format the HDD and start with a clean install!

Old 05-01-2005, 07:09 AM
niranjannpai Offline

1) Install family logon
2) In start menu., click run and type regedit.
3) In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\logon, create a binary value.
4) Name it MustBeValidated
5) Change its value to 1.
6) Restart ur PC and check it out.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Arbus3 Offline

Regedit Solution Only Works With Networks!

If you change the registry edit to "Must Be Validated", that only works when you're part of a network! The idea is that your computer will send the info to a network server to validate your password...
If you have a standalone computer (like at home, not connected to a network) it won't work. I tried editing my registry without realizing and then my computer wouldn't let me logon without entering a "domain"; the domain box never showed up before then, and I thought, what the heck?

I finally managed to reset my registry and now everything's back to normal.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Dude111 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Patriot
Win98 isn't like winxp. Even if you put a password on it all you have to do is hit cancel or enter button and it will let you in. Unless you went in and changed something, if that's possible.
Hmmmm I didnt realise that!!

Interesting. Things ya learn everyday!!

Last edited by Dude111 : 10-23-2015 at 08:34 AM.