SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

connected to net but web pages won't display

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes

Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
modman666 Offline

connected to net but web pages won't display

Was connected to the net as per normal with my PCI Speedtouch ADSL modem (no problems for over a year) when my connection dropped. When I tried to reconnect it wouldn't and I got into a hell of 650 errors which my ISP support were unable/unwilling to resolve.
Changed the modem to a USB one (also re-installed windows etc at suggestion of ISP) and after 3 days fiddling can now connect to the net, however I can;t do anything with it. Can;t locate or use webpages, ftp or POP mail. Can't even ping.
Yet my broadband seems to be connected at 576kbs just dinkum.
Can;t work out what the problem is - at moment am using friend's computer with the same USB modem, which was a bugger to get working (hung all the time) but now appears stable.
I want my computer back and my connection back - am running a not-for-profit website and doing much else from the old WIN98SE computer.
Not sure where to go from here - have tried disabling firewall/antivirus ec and checked for viruses and spyware..
Any suggestions.. ISP washed their hands and blaming it on WIN98...

Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 AM
pip22 Offline

Just a suggestion as this recently happened to me when a setting in Internet Explorer got mysteriously changed. Only applies if your connection is labelled "Local Area Network" in Windows.

1. Open Internet Explorer

2. Click 'Tools>Internet Options'

3. Click the 'Connections' tab.

4. Click "LAN Settings"

5. All three option boxes should be UNTICKED

Click OK if you have had to make any changes.

Close IE. Re-open IE and see if it works.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:09 AM
sickpricedotcom Offline

Start -> Run -> type CMD and click ok
In the DOS window that pops up type:

ping google.com

What are the results?

I'm just curious.
Thanks.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 PM
wavfile Offline

Another thing to check is your 'cipher strength' --you can find this by going into your browser and then to help and see what it says there. I ran into this very same issue (or it sounds the same anyway) and thats what it ended up being for me. Its worth a look / see...
Best,
Wav.file

Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 PM
pennywars Offline

Hi there,

I have a Dell desktop computer running XP Pro, with no wireless card, and I connected a Linksys Wireless-N home router to this computer via ethernet cord.
After some grief with limited or no connectivity, I manually entered the IP address, gateway, and preferred DNS server. The taskbar notification balloons tell me that I'm connected and the signal strength is very good, but when I open the Internet or Firefox, the page cannot be displayed.
I've made sure "work offline" isn't checked, and I've tried disabling the firewall. I've cleared cookies, temp files, history, etc. to no avail.I've reset and disconnected the router, checked cables, and still no luck.
I then opened up the dos prompt and tried pinging the router. I got the response that the request timed out, and 0 of 4 packets were received (100% loss). I tried pinging yahoo.com and google.com, and was told that the host could not be found.
The laptop I'm currently using works fine and it's part of the same network. I'm out of ideas - any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!