SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

windows 98 start-up problem

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes

Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 PM
jonethel Offline

windows 98 start-up problem

Hi. I'm running Windows 98 and am having a problem. When I start my computer, the Dell logo appears as always but then the screen goes black, with a blinking space key in the upper left-hand corner. Then...nothing. When I reboot, the same thing happens but then the screen goes to boot-up options with safe-mode highlighted. I choose normal mode and again I get the blinking space key but this time everything comes up just fine. I tried scanreg /restore. This gives me the last 3 days, then 2 days from January. I need to go back a couple weeks. How can I choose a specific date to back up to? And is there anything else I can do to solve my dilemma? Thanks.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM
harry12 Offline

I can't help specifically, but you don't say what happened recently - has something caused this change?

Trouble is it's an old OS and probably an old computer. Do you have a recovery CD - I understand Dell used to supply them then stopped - but now have gone back to supplying if asked. Snag is I understand that it restores only the settings "as supplied" so all new programs will need re-installing - still maybe time for a clearout?
The other possibilty is the HDD has started to croak - bumps, age etc so a modern replacement might be worthwhile (probably the smallest that will fit) this should extend the life of the PC, but eventually I guess you have to dump it.
Sorry...are you any good on IE...see my new question, if you are.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 PM
davedarkstar2 Offline

95 percent of hard drives are recoverable,think you need to do some work,get into safe mode n run virus and spywrae scanners,can you down load ccleaner to clean out the hd... get it here... http://www.ccleaner.com/
if you have another pc and flash drive send ccleaner in folder in program files to it and and run it on the problem pc,you might have to bite the bullit and format the hd but that can be a good result,then look for sound problems on this forum.good luck man.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
disaster Offline

Smile Blank screen

May be a long shot but it'll cost nothing to try.

I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be nothing more serious than a memory chip not seated properly. Well worth checking but don't forget to touch the computer chassis first to avoid static problems. Then just loosen memory chips and reinsert.

Good luck

Disaster

Old 01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Dick C. Offline

Hello.
As a new guy on this I do hope I am giving the correct information. I have an extra very old windows 98 that I do not know how to open so I am able to use it as an extra machine. I can get into the BIO but just do not know what settings and the like to do to open same. The computer I use for this is a Del which gives me no problems.
I do not have s set up disc for the 98. I have only the machine set with the format I use with the Compac system. Infortunately I am not a computer wiz. I do appreciate any aid that can be given.
Cordially, Dick C.