SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

External HDD for Windows 98 (not SE)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes

Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Fallout82 Offline

External HDD for Windows 98 (not SE)

I'm new, hello all.
My system specs as far as I can remember.

Windows 98
333hz
has two usb ports and they work (prob. 1.1)
10gig HDD

I am looking for an external hard drive for 98 not SE, I don't really want to have to take the original HDD out to transfer the files from it. Any help??

Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 PM
dlessa Offline

I am having a similar problem. I have a Gateway G6-333C running Windows 98 4.10.1998. I need to get all of the data off of the hard drive. I have a Maxtor One Touch III that I connected to the USB (also working correctly). The system recognized that there was new hardware on it but couldn't find the driver. Like a thumb drive (which I also tried) I believe the driver resides on the external drive. I copied the driver from the external system from my laptop onto a CD and put the CD into the Gateway. I couldn't read the driver - didn't even know it was there. I click on view all files (including hidden). I am not sure if my problem is with the Windows 98 software or if it is with the IDE internal hard drive. I got on Chat with Gateway who told me to basically go pound sand. I could pay X amount of dollars to call Gateway but that was it. I also tried the Maxtor site which wasn't very helpful. I just found the box for the Maxtor and noted that it required Windows XP/2000 or above so that leaves that out. Any thoughts on how I can get this data off?

Old 05-02-2010, 04:53 PM
phillipcorcoran Offline

The problem with Windows 98 (pre SE) is that it doesn't fully support USB other than for a keyboard or mouse. USB drives are not supported, and, no, the drivers are not on the drives.

Windows SE addressed that issue, and XP even more so. It's time you stopped giving yourself a hard time and upgraded to a newer operating system. Manufacturers have all but given up on pre-XP Windows. Creating drivers costs them money and they aren't going to waste it on writing drivers for an OS with a relatively small user-base.

In any case, it's not their fault. It's a USB/Windows problem not a drive problem, and Microsoft is responsible for providing USB support. They fixed the problem in later versions of Windows. If you choose to continue using a long-since unsupported version you can't reasonably blame anyone else.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 AM
harry12 Offline

Fallout82 - you didn't say, - did you fix it?

FWIW I'd forget using USB on plain Win98 - . . posters here have explained.

For Win98, I suggest you use an internal HDD - if you can find the controller socket -or cable connector etc, - it should call this drive-D for example - it will need formatting - then Copy your data over - a good opportunity to create some Order in the filing system. (perish the thought).
Then you can remove the HDD and it's done....note that it doesn't have to be screwed-in...provided you are careful it could rest on something OR a temporary bracket for support if there is "no room" for the drive. Watch the PSU-rating, although a modern drive should take less current.
You can get in-line SMPSU's that will power just one HDD...this might be an alternative to avoid any PSU issues.
+Be aware that Win98 may not support the modern file-system...this needs to be checked.....but it should allow you to copy files. That way the data is a lot safer.

Probably you have the original Disc+Key, so it's possible to create a new primary HDD then copy back your files....you'll have a "new" computer, albeit with some restrictions. However, for basic computing it is good enough, although sometime you'll want that new-Kit, which only comes with XP or later Drivers......If you plan to keep it, check that CMOS battery....it may be about to cause you grief.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by harry12 : 07-17-2010 at 08:39 AM.