Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

hard drive fucked up

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 AM
thatrusoldja Offline

hard drive fucked up

I have an IBM Think Pad R31 with 256 kb of ram and is a pentium III with step speed techonolgy. I recently upgraded my hard drive from 20 GB to a100 GB from hitachi I first tried to format the hard drive withon the computer but no use do I had to do an USB to IDE bridge from another computer to format it. I install lunix on it at first but my graphics card don't support it so I installed Windows XP SP3 on it and it was working for like 2 weeks then it started moving really slow so i turned it off then restarted the computer when I did that it got to the Windows Logo Screen and restared the whole process all over again.After 5 time of this procedure I renstalled windows xp but it would install all the way on my hard drive becuase the hard drive is not letting format the drive normaly it only lets me format the drive quickly and everytime I do that I keep getting errors either during the setup process or on the desktop which causes me to repeat these same steps all over again and yes I have tried to format the drive using the recovery console from the xp setup disk and it keeps saying the parameter is not valid. I need help bad thats my only computer and need that computer for school. and oh yeah I have used and tried the following OS cds

Windows XP SP3
Windows XP SP2 (2 Differant CDs)
Windows XP SP1 (Dell OEM)
Vista Lite V.2
Tiny Windows 7
Lunix Mint 9 - Isadora
Lunix - Fordora
None of these Installed properly

Please help me asap

Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 AM
phillipcorcoran Offline

Firstly, please watch your language. There's a swear-word in the title of your post and this is a family forum used by both adults and minors!

Your problem may be that the hard drive is worn out and is about to fail completely, in which case you need to replace it with a new one. All hard drives fail eventually.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM
NoodleGuitarist Offline

Your hard drive is toast. As for the Linux GUI, you can install it without the GUI and just use the command line. Insert a new hard drive and restore your system from a backup using ghost or whatever you use.

Watch your language please.