SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

Mysterious network activity.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes

Old 10-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Sebastian42 Offline

Mysterious network activity.

I have a broadband connection through an ethernet cable to my PC running WinME. The LEDs on my network card are in view, so I know that usually the green one is constantly on, and the amber one blinks at a sedate rate. When I am actually uploading or downloading data, that blink rate increases. Sometimes, even if my email client (Outlook Express6) and browser (Firefox 2.0.0.20) are NOT open, the amber light blinks furiously - suggesting to me that data transfer is occurring. But WHAT and WHERE TO or WHERE FROM is a mystery to me. My obsolete but age-compatible firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall has entries in its traffic log that are 5 minutes behind current time, so can't tell me what is happening NOW. It however does seem to store about 24hrs worth of data. (How) can I find out what the 'unauthorised' or mystery internet traffic is about ?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 AM
phillipcorcoran Offline

It may be something as harmless as automatic updates, either from Microsoft (Windows Updates) if you have 'Automatic Updates' enabled, or it could be your antivirus software.

Remember that automatic updates from Microsoft can occur every day and can often take an hour or more depending on your download speed. Some of the best antivirus programs will also update themselves every day.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Sebastian42 Offline

I did say it was WinMe for which there have been no updates for years. In any case, I had turned off 'automatic updates' off.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 AM
phillipcorcoran Offline

I take your point about WinME no longer being supported, but bear in mind that Windows Automatic Updates supplies updates for all Microsoft applications as well, even if the operating system itself is no longer supported.

But since your automatic updates is disabled I accept of course that it can't possibly be that that's causing the mysterious internet activity on your PC.

You may want to have your PC checked out for any possible malware that's running on it. This is usually done by installing something like "HijackThis", running it, then submitting it's report to the forum to be analysed. I can't analyse it as it requires someone who is experienced in reading such reports.

You can get HijackThis here: http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/