SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

WIN.com missing or corrupted file

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes

Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 PM
kgallo96 Offline

Question WIN.com missing or corrupted file

Hey guys, I have somehow managed to get my IBM thinkpad type 2626 to run only in MS-DOS mode. the error message it is giving me is the missing or corrupted WIN.com file. I know it is not a virus, because this computer does not have any internet or anything that could load a virus onto. I've tried to load the file manually, I've tried to extract it, and I've even tried to create a new WIN file but for some reason, it is still not working or load. I know the BIOS battery is going bad, but I'm pretty sure there's something else here. can anyone help me?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 AM
bookworm Offline
Sound Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallo96
Hey guys, I have somehow managed to get my IBM thinkpad type 2626 to run only in MS-DOS mode. the error message it is giving me is the missing or corrupted WIN.com file. I know it is not a virus, because this computer does not have any internet or anything that could load a virus onto. I've tried to load the file manually, I've tried to extract it, and I've even tried to create a new WIN file but for some reason, it is still not working or load. I know the BIOS battery is going bad, but I'm pretty sure there's something else here. can anyone help me?

you need an XP disc to do this.

Try a System File Check
go to Run - type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes and note the space after sfc) - have the xp or recovery disc available in case sfc needs to repair or replace any files

Also look at this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...e-missing-boot

Barbara MCP

Friends are
Gods apology
for relations.

It's not what you know, it's who you know ( especially the members of the Software Tips&Tricks Forum )

Last edited by bookworm : 11-30-2011 at 06:15 AM.