SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

corrupt file not letting me load windows

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes

Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
lenrely Offline

corrupt file not letting me load windows

I downloaded a program which has corrupted file powrprof.dll, which in turn is keeping explorer and msgsvr32 from loading on startup. I was told at the repair shop there is nothing they can do but reformat the machine, leaving me unable to recover my data. When windows is trying to load I can see my files are still there and could possibly be retrieved if I could load them another way or postpone the corrupted tasks to the end of the process to give me some time. (I was able to uninstall the offending program in the few seconds before it becomes unresponsive, so at least I know the problem is limited to a few system files and programs like Word are still running if it would let me use them.) I was told a recovery disk or USB intervention would be useless because the system is broken, which I don't understand because DOS is working and therefore you don't need Windows to boot the harddrive. Before I take this drastic measure I'm hoping one of you wizards knows how I could either...
A. Force it to run in DOS mode or Safe Mode so I can move the files.
B. Use the F2 settings to change the startup process.
C. Use an emergency disk specifically for this purpose.
D. Put the harddrive in a machine that can open the files (in lieu of blind data recovery).

Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Monty007 Offline

Hi, you should be able to mount the drive on another PC and copy the files off to it.
SQL 2008 (2778)
Windows Server 2008 (6430)