Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows 95/98/ME
User Name
Password

missing boot files

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 03-04-2004, 08:56 AM
genevive32 Offline

missing boot files

Hi all, I hope someone out there can help me. By accident I deleted a file that I need (not knowing that it would be delete for good). I'm missing the 1mouse.vxd and the 1mul.exe. I can only boot up in safe mode. And can't seem to get online in safe mode. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get them back. My cd-rom drive dosen't work and I don't have the original cd-rom disks that came with the computer (this computer was given to me). So is there somewhere out there that I can download these two to a floppy disk? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your help. Genevive

Old 03-06-2004, 07:48 PM
scouse Offline

Pretty hard to find but here is the first one, this is a german site but luckily enough the files are listed in Englis
http://www.treiber-archiv.de/?site=s...tter=l&typ=vxd

here is your second one, by the way you got the second wrong i am sure as there is no lmul.exe there is only the lmul.vxd

here http://www.treiber-archiv.de/?site=s...tter=l&typ=vxd
Hope these help you, just downlaod them to floppy to install

Old 03-08-2004, 09:27 AM
genevive32 Offline

Re: Boot files

Thanks soooo much for the web site that you found. I downloaded the lmouse.vxd and lmul.vxd files and tried to install them in the ms-dos mode and when I reboot the computer I get a windows protection error. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks, Genevive

Old 03-10-2004, 06:05 PM
scouse Offline

Ok go here http://www.dynamiclink.nl/frames/index.shtml look to the left of the home page you will see vxd click on vxd then choose L from the choice, it will then take you to a page with those 2 files download the 2 files again then

Step 1:

Unzip and copy all files for: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Step 2: restart your computer.
you will be happy in getting the result!

Old 03-11-2004, 10:56 AM
genevive32 Offline

re:scouse

Thanks for helping me I really appreciate it. I do have a question for you. Should I open this in safe mode or in the command prompt?? Genevive

Old 03-11-2004, 07:23 PM
scouse Offline

No you can boot up in normal mode then just unzip straight into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. If you have used a zip programme before it is easy when you click on unzip it gives you the choice of location to put the files just put C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM in the location box and unzip there it is done..

Old 03-12-2004, 05:30 PM
genevive32 Offline

Re:missing boot files

Well I did what you said and it didn't work. The computer is telling me to reinstall windows. I think the cd rom drive is working but I don't have the restore disk for that computer. Do you know can I stick a restore disk from a different computer running windows 98 in that computer. Or does it have to be from the same company?? Genevive

Old 03-12-2004, 06:25 PM
scouse Offline

Hmmmm i am not sure at all why it never worked, the directions were correct and the files the ones you needed..As for restoring your os i have never ahd restore discs so i do not know how they work. If you know anyone who ahs windows 98 or 98se it will be fine for you to install theres on your computer. Do not worry about piracy as M$ do not care about 98 plus it is impossible they would ever ever know so try and find a friend or relative who has a full 98 or 98se disc and format your hard drive and reinstall from there disc..

I believe you would need to ask someone else about how restore discs work, i could say yes go and do it andit may not work.

Do you know that you can buy a full legal windows 98se disc from www.ebay.co.uk for about 15 so it may be worth you investing a few pound and get your own full disc that way any more problems you get will be no problem to fix.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ategory=46 19 An example..

Old 03-13-2004, 02:32 PM
setec Offline

if you can run in safe mode still, try START, RUN, and type SFC, clicking OKAY.

This can restore missing or corrupt files on the system. Of course, your out of luck if unless your .CAB files are on your harddrive, since the cdrom does not work in safe mode.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 AM
genevive32 Offline

Re: missing boot files

Well, What ever I did last week must of been wrong. My computer is now telling me to re install windows. I haven't tried anything from then. I got fustrated and busy with other things. So this week is a new week. I did before that get the cd rom drive working (I think). It was checked disconnect. So I unchecked that. So I am determined to get this computer working, with a fresh mind and new week. Question now...can I use a restore disk from my old tower which had windows 98. It's a compaq?? Thanks, Genevive

Old 03-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Miz Offline

No, you can't use the recovery CD from another computer unless the one you're wanting to use it on is identical in every way to the computer that CD came with. That's especially true with Compaq CDs.

A Compaq Recovery CD only has about 150 megs of data on it, just enough to access the files on the hidden partition on the harddrive that contains the actual files needed to reinstall Windows. Since other computers don't have that hidden partition and since there is critical data specific to that Compaq included in that data, using a Compaq recovery CD on another computer is doomed to failure.