SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows NT/2000/2003
User Name
Password

Windows Installer keeps popping up..

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 2.91 average. Display Modes

Old 07-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Miamistyle Offline

Angry Windows Installer keeps popping up..

Windows installer keeps trying to load a program(Hp Camera software) which I don't have any more. No Disc, and the files cannot be found on my hard drive.( a .MSI file) I went to add/remove programs and get the same message.( Please insert disc named : blah, blah, blah!!) I don't have it!!!!
Everytime I open a program or go online or if the computer is just sitting Windows installer pops-up asking for the source disc or file. How can I stop this???[b]

Last edited by Miamistyle : 07-25-2004 at 09:27 PM.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:43 AM
tperk100 Offline

I have the same problem!

Old 02-28-2005, 08:42 PM
charliet Offline

Win 2000

My computer at work is running Windows 2000 and I have the same problem except mine is trying to reinstall some Microsoft Office files. I have even gone through the 'reinstall', 'repair', and even 'remove program - then reinstall' methods yet this problem still persists.
This is out of my field, but thought I'd let you know you're not the only one out there with this problem.
C.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:54 AM
revans611 Offline

I have been having the same problem in W2k. Go to the following URL: http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;290301. Download Windows Install Cleanup. It will list all programs that use Windows Installer. Select from the list those programs for which you are getting the Windows Installation popup. Click remove, and then reinstall the same programs (if you still want to use them). The Remove button does not remove the program. It removes the install configuration, but you still have to reinstall. It worked for me! Good luck! Now I have to go to all of those other online forums where messages about this same problem are posted. :-)

Old 03-01-2005, 03:54 AM
tperk100 Offline

The link does not seem to work?!

Old 03-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Overclocked Doc Offline

The simplest way to deal with the problem is to edit the "start" registry, in particular the .exe line that refers to the HP software.
There are many tools available to download, to make editing simpler (if you are unsure of how to navigate the registry), here's one I use.

Regcleaner!

After unzipping and installing, open and run. Click on "start up list" at the top and look on the list to find the file in question. Select that file and that file only.
Remove it from the list. After that exit out of regcleaner and reboot to see if the problem has been corrected. Assuming it is, then head to "program files" located on your main drive partition. Find the folder for HP relating to the software you no longer have and "delete" it. Your done!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:40 AM
hazzbob Offline

Help, I have the same sort of problem but on my laptop i cannot install any new programs. Therefore i cannot install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with this problem because it is extremely annoying.

Thanks <harry>

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
bugmenot

Exclamation i know how to fix the problem

I had the same problem with a program called Dragon naturally speaking nine preferred. Anyway... I know how to fix the problem. It's actually quite simple.
First click start... then press Run. Type in MSconfig. Click on the services tab at the top. And highlight 1 of the services. Then press the 'w' key until you see Windows installer. Uncheck the box to the left of Windows installer, then press apply in the bottom right-hand corner. Now you can close the Microsoft configuration box, but another box should pop up asking you to restart. Click restart now. When your computer turns back on it should be free of the problem. If it is not then I would contact Microsoft about the problem.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Schochet Offline

windows installer problems

That works, eliminating the installer through msconfig. The problem then is that attempts install programs that require the installer generate the report that Windows Installer cannot be found. And when I use msconfig to allow it, it still doesn't permit me to install programs and keeps appearing whenever I use MS Explorer.

Is there a way to REMOVE installer (on the presumption that it is damaged) and to replace it with a version that works?

Many thanks.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
JoseAustin Offline

Here are several fixes found for you to try.

Check whether Windows Installer engine is functioning.
1. Click Start > Accessories > Command Prompt.
2. At the command prompt, type MSIExec and press Enter. MSI refers to the Windows Installer.
3. If the MSI engine is working, you should see no error messages. However, if you see an error message, note down the error. Search for it in a search engine such as Google to find troubleshooting solutions.
4. Now try to install or uninstall the program again. If the problem persists, go to the next fix.
Check that Windows Installer service is not disabled.
1. Click Start and type service.msc in the Search box and press Enter.
2. The Services window is opened. Right-click on ‘Windows Installer’ service, then click ‘Start’. The service needs to start without any errors.
3. Now try to install or uninstall your program again. If it persists, try the next fix.
Check for latest version of Windows Installer.
2. Once the command prompt window opens up, type MSIExec and press Enter. If MSI engine is working, you should see no error messages, and it should open a separate dialog box, which shows the MSI version.
3. If the installer version doesn’t show as version 4.5, download the latest version at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/
4. Now try to install or reinstall your program again. If it still persists, try the next fix.

Reregister the installer engine.
2. At the command prompt, first type MSIExec / unregister, then press Enter and type MSIExec / regserver
3. Now try to install or reinstall your program again.
Clean your CD or DVD media.
1. If you are trying to install the program from a CD or DVD media, use a CD or DVD disc cleaning kit.
2. You can also gently wipe the silver side of the disc with a soft, lint-free cotton cloth. Make sure you do not use paper or other rough cloth as this can scratch the plastic or leave streaks that can damage the disk. Make sure you wipe the disk from the center outward and not circular motion.
3. If you use a damp cloth or commercial disk cleaning solution, wipe the disc thoroughly before inserting into the drive.
Copy installation files to your computer.
1. If you are using a removable or external media to install the program, copy the installation files from there to your computer’s hard drive and then run the installation file from that location. It is usually called autorun.exe or setup.exe. If you are not sure, just check the Readme file in the setup folder about how to start the installation.
2. Unless there is no .exe file present in the setup folder, we do not recommend that you run .msi files directly.
Terminating other programs running on your computer.
1. Click Start and type msconfig in the Search box.
2. One the ‘General’ tab, click ‘Selective startup’, then click to clear the ‘Load startup items’ checkbox.
3. Click ‘Services’ tab, click ‘Hide all Microsoft services’, and then click ‘Disable all’.
4. Click OK, then click Restart.
5. After the computer restarts, try to run your program installation.
6. Once you have finished troubleshooting the problem, restart your computer again.
7. Click Start, type msconfig in the Search box. Click on the ‘General’ tab, click ‘Normal startup’, click OK, then click Restart.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Jwade Offline

I had this problem with some HP Imaging Software on my Windows 7 machine. The fixes above we for older versions of Windows, but I was able to find the fix thanks to JoseAustin pointing me in the right direction. I found the page at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651
I ran the Microsoft Fixit program from the button there. The program ran for over an hour but it eventually took care of the installer bug. Hope this helps someone else, because this drove me crazy for months!