SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows NT/2000/2003
User Name
Password

error occurred while connecting M: \\ph-dwj\shared. The local device name is already

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.14 average. Display Modes

Old 06-06-2003, 06:27 AM
dibbers Offline

error occurred while connecting M: \\ph-dwj\shared. The local device name is already

I have just upgraded an employees N/B with a faster network card 100mbps from 10mbps
But most of the mapped network drives - provided with a logon script from from domain server now display the following error messge
"An Error Occurred while reconnecting M: to \\pi-dwj\market. Microsoft Windows Network: The Local Device name is already in use. This connect has been restored."

but cannot access the mapped share, even though there is no problem logging onto the domain or accessing email from exchange server. If i reconnect the old network card - everything is fine again, no problems with network shares.

Could it be a hardware problem or is it that windows is storing the mapped drives in a local database and so when the user is loggin on they are mapped twice, and if so why doesn't it happen with the old network card

Old 06-11-2003, 01:30 PM
snowmonkey Offline

Wink error occurred while connecting M: \\ph-dwj\shared. The local device name is

you just did not wait long enough,, that's all. just find out which system is your master browser first, go to DOS box and typr these two line in:

nbtstat -RR (Enter)
nbtstat -R

at that point you master browser should recognize your new connection.

cheers

Old 10-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Albert Schwartz Offline

I know this post is old but I had the same problem after updating my network card driver.

I eventually resolved the problem by looking in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
and saw that the file named 'hosts' had been changed to a hosts backup, I deleted the backup file extension and hey presto problem solved.

Hope this helps anyone

Regards

Al

Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 AM
mirrorsurface Offline

Thank you snowmonkey. Three days of removing and readding 10 of the pc's on my domain was enough for me. You are a life saver

Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 AM
PeterM42 Offline

Thumbs up an error occurred while reconnecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmonkey
you just did not wait long enough,, that's all. just find out which system is your master browser first, go to DOS box and typr these two line in:

nbtstat -RR (Enter)
nbtstat -R

at that point you master browser should recognize your new connection.

cheers

snowmonkey - you are a genius. I know this is an old thread, but I have been trying to ace this one for AGES. Could NOT find anything useful on the Microsoft site.

Many Thanks.