SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows Vista
User Name
Password

Can't delete file in Vista

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 2.54 average. Display Modes

Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 AM
nafem Offline

Unhappy Can't delete file in Vista

I have an Adobe Capative file (which version 2 runs very badly in on XP and Vista) which I was sent from a client via email. I saved it to my desktop and opened it. I then tried to move it, I can't. I can't rename ii, get properties for it, delete it, I can't do anything with it. Can anyone suggest why this has happened? Surely there should be a way of dealing with this within the OS?

Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Kevin_gibson Offline

Nafem
Hi, before you opened the file did you do a full scan of it? You said you can't delete or rename the file, when you right click, do you get the menus for it? or does it just sit there doing nothing?

When you try and delete it, what error(s) do you get? if any?

If you get any errors saying it's in use, you need to open task manager and eliminate the processes 1 by 1 till you can delete the selected file.

You could try and delete the file through safe mode - Just tap F8 during boot up and see if this helps.

Failing that, system restore and see if this helps, hope this is useful.

Big world out there - softwaretipsandtricks have your answer

www.google.com is your friend
Happy to help with Windows 95, 98, ME, XP & Vista, Windows 7. Any software related issues, or router problems, give us a shout.
Any make & model of PC, laptop problems. ST&T Always have a right answer

Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 AM
nafem Offline

The file was virus free. I have it attached to an email and I have saved it to another location and that is fine.
When I right click I don't even get the menu, it just sits there and does nothing.
When I try to deelete it I don't get any errors, it just display the calculating time to delete dialogue until I kill it.
I don't reall want to do a system restore just for a file I can't delete. I have a feeling that because of new security in Vista I won't be able to boot ionto DOS and delete it either. A real pain!!

Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Kevin_gibson Offline

Nafem
System restore doesn't delete any other files off of the Pc.

I don't mean remaster / recovery try and delete it in safe mode.

Create another user account, log in to that account, delete the account that files logged in on and delete it?

Big world out there - softwaretipsandtricks have your answer

www.google.com is your friend
Happy to help with Windows 95, 98, ME, XP & Vista, Windows 7. Any software related issues, or router problems, give us a shout.
Any make & model of PC, laptop problems. ST&T Always have a right answer

Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
nafem Offline

I have found out what it is. I went to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and checked "Always show icons, never thumbnails". Now I have been able to delete the file and deleteing and moving other files is much quicker.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:17 AM
bejoscha Offline

Hi!
I had (and still have) exactly the same problem with a file of a different program. (It's commercial software for microscopists, so the name won't tell you much.) Can't move,rename,delete it.
However, I tried changing the view as suggestes above, and it does not solve the problem. Any help highly appreciated!
I hate Vista.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:44 AM
PeckerWood Offline

beboscha....Try Unlocker and when you download read the easy to use readme file.

---->http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Old 08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Monty007 Offline

Or you could always take ownership of the file and deleate it.
SQL 2008 (2778)
Windows Server 2008 (6430)

Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 AM
bryndis Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty007
Or you could always take ownership of the file and deleate it.

I have tried that also.. and to delete it in safe mode... and change the thumbnail thing... Nothing works!! :S Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:03 PM
PeckerWood Offline

Download and run Revo Uninstaller and see if it gives you the option to uninstall the program.

--->http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 PM
AntiFerret Offline

Needing help too

I can't delete a file as well. But it is not a program that can be removed by add/remove or anything like that.

I downloaded a song but it did not have the .mp3 tag.

So I gave it to it when I moved it to a new folder.

And then a blank file for it showed up on my desktop after I moved the .mp3 file. It says, when I try to delete it, that it can't because the file is no longer located on the desktop. I tried to put the other file on the desktop and then delete the one that won't delete, and it still won't do anything.

No matter what I try, it won't delete. I can't rename it, it doesn't work. I tried opening it with MPC and WinAMP but it won't open either. It was virus free and everything. Now I don't know what to do. I restarted hoping it would go away on its own, but it won't.

Unlocker doesn't acknowledge it either.

-_-

Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
XxJohnnyRulezxX Offline

Exclamation Can't Delete something in a folder

Hey guys I have the excact same problem but this time it is in a folder that i can't rename, delete, and when i delete it it says it is running on some other place and everytime when i delete it this thing pop-ups and it says the following : You need premission to preform this action and it says the name of it and the date it was created and then it also sats TRY AGAIN or CANCEL and it never ever wants to delete! I have Windows Vista and i have tried all of it besides rebooting.... cause i dun wan to reboot it! ANY IDEAS? I REALLY WANT THIS FOLDER OUT OF MY SCREEN D:>

Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM
oscardad Offline

I'm running Vista, if you're running something else, YMMV. Also, you're going to need Admin rights or file ownership to do this.

Right click on the file name, you should see a drop down menu. If you don't, this fix won't help you.

On the drop-down you will see an entry called "Properties"; left click on it.

Select the "Security" tab near the top of the pop-up.

Click on the "Advanced" button on the lower left.

Look at the Permission entries. If any of the permissions have the Type "Deny" for the name "Everyone", delete it/them.

To delete, just click on the "Edit" button, highlight the "Deny" permission to be deleted, and hit the "Remove" button.

"OK" your way out, and give it another go. It worked for me.

BTW, the reason it works is that "Deny" permissions take precedence over "Allow" permissions, so if you are a member of two or more groups (and, by definition, you're a member of "Everyone") then the "Deny" permission will override EVERYTHING, including "Administrator" and "Owner" permissions.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
willniland Offline

Try rebuilding the index. Go to Control panel> System and Maintenance> Indexing Options> > Advanced > Rebuild. It takes a couple of hours for the operation to complete. It worked well for me

Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
qbism Offline

Symptoms: Explorer hangs on rename or delete, AND right click on "properties" has no effect, no dialog pops-up.

This is indeed the fix:
Quote:
I have found out what it is. I went to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and checked "Always show icons, never thumbnails". Now I have been able to delete the file and deleteing and moving other files is much quicker.
Thanks, nafern, never would have thought to try that!

File properties is the key... if that won't show, then none of the security, unlocker, indexing, or error-checking fixes work for me.

This post is near the top on a Google search of "properties file vista delete". I signed up just to reinforce this solution for this particular problem that's been driving me nuts. Here we are 3 years later on Vista service pack 2, please fix it in service pack 3 Microsoft!