SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows Vista
User Name
Password

Windows Audio Service will not run (Vista Ultimate)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 2.49 average. Display Modes

Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 PM
jer_stud56 Offline

Windows Audio Service will not run (Vista Ultimate)

I got a Dell XPS M1710 on Friday with Vista Business installed. I liked it, but wanted Ultimate for reasons of the Media Center so I can connect to my Xbox 360 so I upgraded. Anyways, since last night when I installed it, which worked flawlessly, well besides the audio.

I've tried using dell.com for the audio device drivers and tried google a few times now which is how I found this site. I cannot find a liable solution, and it's almost driving me insane. I've tried the dell support driver page which was of no real help. I tried both the Sigmatel Stac 92XX C-Major HD Audio driver and Creative Labs integrated sound blaster Audigy advanced hd audio driver on their page.

I've tried going to services and manual starting the "Windows Audio Service" and only get an error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I was on the support website for sigmatel they told me to uninstall and reinstall the driver (which you for some reason cannot get off their website or partner) so I'm getting it again from Dell.com. I'll be back in a few seconds to say if it works or not...must restart.

Edit:
Running on...

Dell XPS M1710
Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit
2.00 GHz Duo core T7200
2 GB RAM
Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC verison 5.10.0.4995 (the one from the Dell.com website.)

Last edited by jer_stud56 : 04-22-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:14 PM
jer_stud56 Offline

Yep just as I thought, did not help. The "Windows Audio Service" still is not starting. It is set to try again after a failed attempt twice.
Windows Audio Endpoint Builder will not start either. It gets Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm stuck completely, and I'm very computer literate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
jer_stud56 Offline

still have yet to find a solution to this. Been googling for a few days now and still haven't found anything to fix. Anyone know why Windows Audio Service will not turn on?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 AM
jer_stud56 Offline

I FINALLY figured it out. I don't really know why though.
I randomly searched google for reinstall vista sigmatel.
I got a page of:
http://kumaryu.wordpress.com/2007/02...manufacturers/
and went to
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...sta%20sigmatel
clicked Verify Operating System and Product Compatibility to find out which driver was for my computer ( R147073.EXE is for the M1710 )
it asked me to restart and i walked away for a minute. In the background I heard vista starting up. Finally I have sound again! Hope this helps anyone in the future having problems with Vista Ultimate and Sigmatel !

Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM
moshiur Offline

Thumbs up ANSWER: Windows Audio Service will not run in Vista Ultimate or Win2008

Goto services start windows audio service. before that start "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" service. Windows service is dependent in "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder"

Thanks ---
Moshiur

Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 AM
KDS4444 Offline

More to it than just that...

I recently had this same problem, and had no idea why... I read this forum's entry, but my own version of Windows Audio Endpoint Builder was set to start automatically and was already started... And my "speaker" icon had a red X over it, and I could not get sound to come out of the speakers, and could not get Windows Audio to start.

I went to my Services list, scrolled down to Windows Audio (which was set to start automatically but which was not actually started and which would not start). I right-clicked and selected Properties, then clicked on the tab marked Dependencies. In the top window under the words "This service depends on the following system components" there was a list of THREE dependencies: Windows Audio Endpoint Builder was only one of these, and it turned out that the problem dependency was actually the Multimedia Class Scheduler, which, for some reason, had become Disabled! I then set this service's startup type to Automatic, actually "started" it, and was THEN (and ONLY then) able to finally start Windows Audio once again!

How the Multimedia Class Scheduler had become disabled I do not know. But getting it going again was essential to getting the Windows Audio service running on my computer (which is a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Premium SP1).

Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 AM
cheslra Offline

KDS4444-you are genius. THANK YOU!!!!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 AM
carib909 Offline

Disabled Multimedia Class Scheduler

Absolutely right on point mate. That fixed my issue as well. Even Microsoft's "FIXIT" app could not do such a simple task. Great job and thanks.
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...lies/smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS4444
I recently had this same problem, and had no idea why... I read this forum's entry, but my own version of Windows Audio Endpoint Builder was set to start automatically and was already started... And my "speaker" icon had a red X over it, and I could not get sound to come out of the speakers, and could not get Windows Audio to start.

I went to my Services list, scrolled down to Windows Audio (which was set to start automatically but which was not actually started and which would not start). I right-clicked and selected Properties, then clicked on the tab marked Dependencies. In the top window under the words "This service depends on the following system components" there was a list of THREE dependencies: Windows Audio Endpoint Builder was only one of these, and it turned out that the problem dependency was actually the Multimedia Class Scheduler, which, for some reason, had become Disabled! I then set this service's startup type to Automatic, actually "started" it, and was THEN (and ONLY then) able to finally start Windows Audio once again!

How the Multimedia Class Scheduler had become disabled I do not know. But getting it going again was essential to getting the Windows Audio service running on my computer (which is a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Premium SP1).

Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
SignedAdam Offline

Also make sure the Services "Power" "Manages power policy and power policy notification delivery." is On Automatic Startup and is Started, or you well receive the same error, "Windows Audio" and "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" say they do not Depends on this Service running, but it's a lie, because my hardware needed this Services On

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
agfitz Offline

Check the Dependencies Tab

You can check the dependencies for each service by clicking on it in the Services list (to open, type "Services" in the Run box). Double-click on the relevant service (e.g. "Windows Audio"). Click on the "Dependencies" tab and then check that all of the services on which it is dependent are running. If you click on the relevant entries in the Services list you should see a "Start" option in the left-hand column if the service is not already running.