Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Being Re-Routed To Another Site Before Actual In IE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 07-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Winglets747 Offline

Being Re-Routed To Another Site Before Actual In IE

Last night I discovered that IE on my computer (Dell Latitude D400 XP SP2) would always re-route me to another site before bringing me to the actual site. The routed site's address is: http://origin.midaddle.com/Ad_Template/inBetween.aspx. It shows a bar at the top saying that the page I want to view will be loaded in XYZ amount of seconds and also shows the percent of it. For the rest of the window, it contains advertising.

This appears to be a problem on my computer and not a host site: I have visited sites from CNN to eBay to this forum and I always get that screen.

If you try to open the site, there should be a slight delay before it brings you to your previous screen.

I have done spyware and adware checks with up-to-date versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Bazooka, SpyWare Doctor, and Symantec.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
-Will

Old 07-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Miz Offline

Found this on "midaddle": "Internet Marketing company AdSypre has announce the beta launch of its MidADdle keyword targeted ad system. The system, similar to Claria and WhenU, works once a user has downloaded and opted into the system. The system tracks online behavior matching user keywords in user-entered URLs, web page forms, search forms and click-through destinations which are then mapped against advertiser keywords generating targeted ad delivery. The ad appears as a between-page unit and is presented to the user upon identification by system as they progress from one page to the next. The user can choose to click on the ad, view it for ten seconds or skip it. If the ad is clicked, the user is delivered to the advertiser's site."

It says you have to "opt in" but if you didn't do that, I'm betting it came bundled with some software you recently installed. It is spyware and it might be new enough that neither Ad-Aware or Spybot has the tools to get rid of it yet.

However, some have reported success in removing it through Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Look for "Midaddle" or "Adsprye" or anything else you suspect might be it and uninstall it there. It might be a good idea to boot into Safe Mode to uninstall it...so it, hopefully, won't be loaded and Add/Remove Programs can get it all.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:42 PM
FenderGtrsRock Offline

Lightbulb hmm

it is Midaddle, which is a sorta new ad delivering software that can be packaged with other software and installed to your computer.
i would check add-remove programs first to see if it can be removed that way. If you cant do that, i would try contacting them with the email that is on the website

http://origin.midaddle.com/

try asking them for removal instructions.

~Led Zeppelin

Old 07-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Winglets747 Offline

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not recently download any software (the last software that I did install was in early June). I re-checked my Add/Remove Programs more thoroughly and found the midaddle thing and removed it. Everything seems to be back to normal.

Thanks again.
-Will

Old 07-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Miz Offline

Congrats, Winglets747, glad you got rid of it.

Thanks for posting back to let us know you got it gone.