OK, I'm kind of new here so I'm not sure how things work around here
, but I think I have your answer for the icon background problem.
1. Right click on MY COMPUTER
2. In the SYSTEM PROPERTIES window, click the ADVANCED tab
3. Under PREFORMANCE, click SETTINGS
4. In the white spce that has all of the checkboxes in it, scroll down to USE DROP SHADOWS FOR ICON LABELS ON THE DESKTOP
5. Make sure that checkbox is checked.
6. Click APPLY
7. Click OK
8. Click OK in the SYSTEM PROPERTIES window
9. The background of your icons should now match any
background that you put on your desktop.