SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Cannot delete .dll files

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.45 average. Display Modes

Old 11-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Zetch Offline

Cannot delete .dll files

I recently aquired a set of .dll files called "cassandra" and distributed by melkosoft corporation. There are three currently, but they change their file names pretty often. They are always in the win/sys32 folder. So far they are acting like a browser hijacker but they are impervious to all spyware removers. My antivirus detects them but cannot delete them. I have tried to delete them manually in regular mode, in safe mode, in regedit, in dos, I have tried system restore (says cannot restore), and I have tried changing security settings through safe mode to allow full access to the files. Nothing has worked. I just want to know how I can delete these files. I keep getting the message "Access denied, cannot read from source file or disk. Make sure the file is not in use." These files seem to block my program "Wholockme" which usually tells me what process has locked a file, so it isn't even working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan hatch
Zetch131411@hotmail.com

Old 11-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Xanex Offline
Turbo Monkey

Here is an option. Using task manager locate explorer.exe.

select the files to delete, and before the confirmation kill off explorer.exe and then delete them, or open up a command window, kill off explorer.exe and then delete them within the command window. Some stuff attaches itself to explorer.exe so they can't be terminated with explorer running, no program can terminate them either since they dont have access to explorer.exe

killing off explorer will kill off the gui / desktop etc, so that why you do it via a command window.

then using ctrl-alt-del, open up task manager again and run explorer.exe in the run box, and bingo your desktop is back
Geforce FX 5700 Ultra ----- 3x Maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm ATA133 8MB Cache
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Digital ----- Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 speakers
Lite-On 52x32x52x ----- 16x DVD-ROM
MS Explorer Trackball
Antec MT1000 Grey File Server Case with side window

Old 11-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Zetch Offline

Thanks for your help, fortunately I didn't have to go that far. In this case it wasn't an issue of process association.

I thought I'd share how the problem was solved though, in case it happens to anyone else in the future. I downloaded a program called "hijackthis" which could not delete it conventionally either, but then while tinkering with it I found a feature of hijackthis that can delete any file upon restart. I had to do this 6 times (as the cassandra files were duplicating themselves) but this completely deleted alll of them from the computer. Thanks again for your help.

Dan Hatch

Zetch131411@hotmail.com

Old 11-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Xanex Offline
Turbo Monkey

good stuff, i thought that your anti spyware program was out witted this time, hence the suggestion.
Geforce FX 5700 Ultra ----- 3x Maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm ATA133 8MB Cache
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Digital ----- Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 speakers
Lite-On 52x32x52x ----- 16x DVD-ROM
MS Explorer Trackball
Antec MT1000 Grey File Server Case with side window

Old 03-22-2005, 11:21 PM
gravit9 Offline

Cassandra removal intructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetch
I recently aquired a set of .dll files called "cassandra" and distributed by melkosoft corporation. There are three currently, but they change their file names pretty often. They are always in the win/sys32 folder. So far they are acting like a browser hijacker but they are impervious to all spyware removers. My antivirus detects them but cannot delete them. I have tried to delete them manually in regular mode, in safe mode, in regedit, in dos, I have tried system restore (says cannot restore), and I have tried changing security settings through safe mode to allow full access to the files. Nothing has worked. I just want to know how I can delete these files. I keep getting the message "Access denied, cannot read from source file or disk. Make sure the file is not in use." These files seem to block my program "Wholockme" which usually tells me what process has locked a file, so it isn't even working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan hatch
Zetch131411@hotmail.com

There is one dll file that acts a temporary file and it seems to keep track of all the other ones, this file seems to be somthing like this "as23hn4j5hbbaggejk.dll.dll.dll.dll". If you rename a dll it will re-create itself with a different name.

In order to get rid of the dll files from Melkosoft's Cassandra you must enter the System recovery console, browse to the system32 folder using c:>cd c:\windows\system32 (c:>cd c:\winnt\system32 for Win2k) and use C:\windows\system32\>dir to see the files names and then use c:\windows\system32\>delete fileName.dll to delete the files.

To enter the SRC use the Win20 or WinXP disk and choose "System Recovery Console. If you can not get a hold of a Windows disk, try removing the drive and setting it as a slave in another computer, browse to (I will use X as the drive letter, however, the drive letter wil depend of your system) X:\Windows\system32\ and delete the files.

Good Luck

Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Martorella Offline

Dear friends:
In my case I had a problem with this file: “wvUmmjkh.dll” so I had to do these things to delete it at all.
1- Download the software “Unlocker” in this link:
http://www.download.com/Unlocker/300...dlPid=10838644
2- Restart the computer in Safe Mode (when restart press F8).
3- Once the computer is ready again I went to the directory:
C:\windows\system32\wvUmmjkh.dll and “put the trash can very close” from the file to be deleted, I did it like this because the infected file was linked with the winlogon.exe and the explorer.exe and I had no option as fast as this.
4- Use the “Unlocker” software with the infected file and unlock all the files linked to the virus or spyware. In this moment you have to be very fast and throw the file into the trash basket, if you don’t make it fast, the computer is going to restart (in my case, because I was killing to important processes: winlogon.exe and explorer.exe) and you’ll miss the chance to make it in one simple try, I think that you have 2 or 3 seconds to do this action.
5- Once you finished deleting the file I had to download another program called “HijackThis”:
http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-...dlPid=10781312
and began to make a “Do a system scan only” of the disk. When it finished you can see a list of all processes running in your machine, in my case the file “wvUmmjkh.dll” was with an indication of “missing file” so the only thing that I had to do to end all this was to delete the registry who belonged to it, very simply, just check the box and press “fix checked” and the registry will be inmediatly erased.
Just in case, with “HijackThis” you have an option of “Delete on Reboot”, in some cases it works and sometimes not.
My best regards, Milton Martorella.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM
tommarinan Offline

sorry to post on your thread but how do you post a question? There does not seem to be an obvious route to asking a question.