SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password


"Access is Denied" Error

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

  #1  
Old 04-25-2005, 08:37 AM
avvr Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3
"Access is Denied" Error

I have about 200 mp3 files under My Documents/My Music organized into folders. Till recently, they were working fine. Now, I can't play them through WMP 10, iTunes or mplayer2. If I try to copy, move or rename, I get a message that

---------------------------
Error Copying File or Folder
---------------------------
Cannot copy <<fname>>: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Can you please advise anyway to overcome this and recover control over my files?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 04-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Cache's Avatar
Cache Offline
ST&T Secret Police
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 617
Hi,

Have you looked in task manager to see if anything is using these files/folders. And maybe in msconfig to see if anything set to start with windows is associated with these files?

Try open a command window and at the prompt type:

CACLS "Path to file" /E /G "Username":F

Change the words "Path to file" and "Username" to the exact path to the file you want access to and the username for the account your using, make sure you keep the quotes though. Then press enter.

After that, still at the command prompt type:

ATTRIB -S "Path to file"

Again change the words "path to file" to the exact path of the file you want access of and keep the quotes. Then press enter.

If the above doesnt work then disabling the indexing service might help.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 04-26-2005, 04:26 AM
avvr Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cache
Hi,

Have you looked in task manager to see if anything is using these files/folders. And maybe in msconfig to see if anything set to start with windows is associated with these files?

Try open a command window and at the prompt type:

CACLS "Path to file" /E /G "Username":F

Change the words "Path to file" and "Username" to the exact path to the file you want access to and the username for the account your using, make sure you keep the quotes though. Then press enter.

After that, still at the command prompt type:

ATTRIB -S "Path to file"

Again change the words "path to file" to the exact path of the file you want access of and keep the quotes. Then press enter.

If the above doesnt work then disabling the indexing service might help.

Cache,

Thanks for your response. I have tried all your suggestions, but no joy so far!
1. Checked task manager and msconfig - I could not identify any processes/applications that use these files.
2. I executed the commands - CACLS and ATTRIB as advised.
3. I had already disabled the indexing service.

I have also tried couple of other things:
a. Uncheck "Simple file sharing" in Folder/View in Explorer
b. Tried to "take ownership of the folder" by changing owners
c. Accessed as administrator though I have "Full control" even for my identity

To give you some more background, I had iTunes installed till recently, that I have disabled now. I am not sure if that modified the mp3 in anyway.

I am still stuck. Any help would be appreciated

many thanks
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 04-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Cache's Avatar
Cache Offline
ST&T Secret Police
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 617
You could try placing your hard drive in a different computer as slave then copy/paste/delete the files. Or maybe even boot from a boot disk and copy/delete the files from a command prompt.

To copy the files from a command prompt:

copy "source folder\"*".mp3" "destination folder"

Where you see "source folder" and "destination folder" just change to whatever the file paths are but keep everything else, including the all the quotes and the "*".mp3 so it copies all the mp3 files.

To delete the files:

DEL "path to folder\"*".mp3"

To delete the folder (if you want to):

RD /S /Q "path to folder"


Again just change the "path to folder" blah, blah, blah, I think you get it by now.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 04-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Galton's Avatar
Galton Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7
Cool

Hi,

Looks like you lost permissions. I asume the mp3s are on a NTFS partition?! See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

Good luck! And update!
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Cache's Avatar
Cache Offline
ST&T Secret Police
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galton
Hi,

Looks like you lost permissions. I asume the mp3s are on a NTFS partition?! See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

Good luck! And update!

Galton,

He has aready tried your suggestion but it didnt work unfortunately. Look at the 3rd post down.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Spareteck Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
I had same issue found resolution

Hello,

I hope the below info helps you ...

Delete - Permission Denied When Trying to Delete Folders/Files

Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Unmark "Use Simple File Sharing". Right click the folder/file in question/Properties/Security/Advanced/Owner/Set Permissions.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q308421

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q307874&

More information here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm

Tip: "Cannot Delete [name of file]: Cannot Find the Specified Path. Make sure you specify the correct path."
Right click the Recycle Bin/Properties/Check: Do Not Move Files to the Recycle Bin...

Tip: Recover and Restore Deleted Files (Line 36)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm


Cheers,
SpArETeCk


Quote:
Originally Posted by avvr
I have about 200 mp3 files under My Documents/My Music organized into folders. Till recently, they were working fine. Now, I can't play them through WMP 10, iTunes or mplayer2. If I try to copy, move or rename, I get a message that

---------------------------
Error Copying File or Folder
---------------------------
Cannot copy <<fname>>: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Can you please advise anyway to overcome this and recover control over my files?
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-07-2005, 04:47 AM
Spareteck Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
Sorry forgot to mention

Just make sure you take ownership of the folder/s and files in question ...

Should allow full access ...

Cheers!
SpArETeCk



Quote:
Originally Posted by Spareteck
Hello,

I hope the below info helps you ...

Delete - Permission Denied When Trying to Delete Folders/Files

Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Unmark "Use Simple File Sharing". Right click the folder/file in question/Properties/Security/Advanced/Owner/Set Permissions.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q308421

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q307874&

More information here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm

Tip: "Cannot Delete [name of file]: Cannot Find the Specified Path. Make sure you specify the correct path."
Right click the Recycle Bin/Properties/Check: Do Not Move Files to the Recycle Bin...

Tip: Recover and Restore Deleted Files (Line 36)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm


Cheers,
SpArETeCk
Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error installing Xp Pro, advice needed kiddetoolman Windows XP 15 05-25-2011 01:34 AM
Error "Access Denied" new2u Windows XP 2 12-14-2010 06:57 AM
RPC Service Fatal Error (crash/reboot), XP Pro. Help please! jc0 Windows XP 23 05-24-2009 07:17 PM
error when accessing updates eric Windows XP 2 09-15-2008 04:26 PM
Yes, it's another "Access Denied" post p4r4n01d4ndr01d Windows XP 3 11-26-2002 08:32 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.3.2 © 2005, Crawlability, Inc.