SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Windows XP Screen Saver Not Working

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes

Old 02-08-2003, 09:21 AM
chris18 Offline

Windows XP Screen Saver Not Working

I've noticed over the last couple of days that my Screen Saver isn't kicking in.

I've checked my settings under Control Panel-Display and they seem ok.

I originally had it set to kick in after 25 minutes ( I usually leave my PC running rather than keep switching it off and on) and have today tried different timings but all to no avail.

I recently installed a cordless keyboard and mouse, could these be affecting it?

As I say, I usually leave the PC running and prefer to have a screen saver to try and avoid any burning of the screen. It's not life or death but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2003, 09:27 AM
afv-13 Offline
Lifesaver of the Genepool

it depends on how old your monitor is, if its under 3 years old it wont burn onto your screen, but as an alternative you can use the switch monitor off option under power options.

with the screensaver i cant help but you can try microsofts knowledge base.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Staatse Offline

Screensaver on XP (SP2) won't work / freezes

I recently installed a cordless keyboard and mouse, could these be affecting it?

At first my screensaver wouldn't work at all either.
I had my mouse connected through the USB port,
but by adding an adapter and connecting through the PS/2 port, it solved at least this issue.

Now my screensaver freezes, I'm not able to to deactived this status unless I restart my computer.

Did someone have the same issues and how do you get rids of this problem?

Thanks

Last edited by Staatse : 09-13-2005 at 11:00 AM.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
georgew Offline

I have the same problem and I also just installed a cordless keyboard and mouse. I disconnected the keyboard and mouse from the USB port and the screensaver worked. I called Office Max (where I purchased the items) but did not get a response from their tech person. I have a cordless mouse on a different computer without problem. I contacted MS Support and was told the following. Disabling Ehtray.exe. at startup resolved the problem:

Step 1: Disable conflicting programs:
-------------------------------------------------
From previous troubleshooting experience, it is found that programs like Dell Media Experience, Power DVD, ehtray.exe and DVD Launcher can cause the issue similar to the one you are experiencing. To resolve the issue, please disable these programs from running in the background every time you start the computer. Please be informed that when you disable these programs, you are not uninstalling them. You can start these programs by going to Start >> All Programs.

I would also like to inform you about the following applications that are known to interfere with the screensaver.
1. Ehtray.exe.
2. DVDLauncher.exe
3. Power DVD
4. PCM service.
5. Dell Media software.

The Microsoft software is not known to cause issues with the screen saver. This issue with the screen saver occurs due to third party applications running in the startup directory. The startup directory has files that belong to applications that are installed in the computer.

The Msconfig startup directory lists the files that are used to launch applications (e.g. like messenger software

Last edited by georgew : 08-08-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
ackchoooo Offline

How To Stop Programs @ Start Up

Hi, after many weeks of troubleshooting, I discovered that the following two programs were preventing my screensaver from starting up:
er-not-working.html
ehtray command and PCMservice so my question is how do I disable these from starting up immediately but stop the "system configuration utility" from popping up telling me that I'm running the computer on Selective Startup"? Is it ok to just disable these two things (programs?)

Much thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 PM
ackchoooo Offline

please help...

Hi, after many weeks of troubleshooting, I discovered that the following two programs were preventing my screensaver from starting up:
er-not-working.html
ehtray command and PCMservice so my question is how do I disable these from starting up immediately but stop the "system configuration utility" from popping up telling me that I'm running the computer on Selective Startup"? Is it ok to just disable these two things (programs?)

Much thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Keepsix Offline

thanks¡

after reading these posts, I have found out that one of my favorite vid players is the cause of all this nonsence. Power DVD how could you do this to me¡! oh well im just glad my com can lock up again. but like he said in ^^ chat, could you answer it¿¿

Old 03-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Keepsix Offline

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
lmorgan79 Offline

Screensaver quits working in XP

I have been snooping around the web, looking for a solution to getting my screensaver back in action. I too, have a cordless mouse, by Logitech. I tried all of the suggestion about Power DVD, PCM Service, etc. None of them worked. What finally did work was uninstalling Setpoint. I've found that there is a bug in that software. Once removed, all is well.

Best of luck!

Lee

Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 PM
rmanchik Offline

For those who are experiencing this problem but don't have DVDLauncher, PCMService, DVDLauncher or PDVDService on their computers, as was the case with me, this solution worked fine for me.
We simply disabled ehtray.exe on the task manager (right click task bar at bottom of screen, click task manager, click processes, click ehtray.exe, click end process). No need to restart your computer. Worked perfectly. I now have both my Microsoft wireless optical desktop 1000 and my screensaver functioning.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 PM
A1BADGER Offline

Screensaver

After re[eated disappointments in regaining my screen saver, (Windows XPSP3) I removed my Logitech wireless mouse, replaced with a wireless Microsoft mouse. Voila. It appears that my screen saver is back.