SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name

Cannot Copy files on network - "Access is denied"

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.67 average. Display Modes

Old 12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
wookaru Offline
Cannot Copy files on network - "Access is denied"

I'm running XP pro SP2 with Symantec Anti Virus and Zone Alarm Firewall.
My apartmentmates and I have a network with some shared folders which everyone can see. We are not set up on a workgroup, we just access each other by using explorer and going to \\computername.

SO, there are a few files on my computer that when they try to copy, they get this error:

Error Copying File or Folder
Cannot copy <<fname>>: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use.
We know that their computers arent full or write protected. And I am not using the file in an obvious manner.

All the files this happens to are .avi files, but I have some other .avi files in the same folder that work.

I've experimented with simple file sharing, and setting permissions but nothing has changed. Also, interestingly enough, the few files they can not copy are the few files for which my computer cannot generate thumbnails. I however, can open, copy and rename the files from within my computer. Any ideas why they cant copy these files?

thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:21 PM
charliemarley Offline
I am having this prob.I am new to this forum so just replying to this as I cant see an answer? Mind you it is a friday night, had a few beers and chilling. I can access shared files and copy and paste, but cant send back to main computer???

Old 01-21-2006, 02:39 AM
plthayer Offline
For XP Pro only!!!
Make sure you are logged in on an admin account. Open a command prompt and type the following commands pressing enter after each command.
This should enable guest access to all file shares and their subfiles/folders.

net user guest

net user guest /active:yes

Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 AM
deggs Offline

i have a similar problem to this and i know that this thread is pretty old but i'm struggling to find a fix.

i have a home pc running XP Pro and a laptop also running XP Pro.

i have shared a folder out from the home pc and i have created a network map on to the laptop.

i can copy/rename/create/delete files on the pc from the laptop across the network, HOWEVER some random files do i can't copy/rename or delete. i get the Access is denied message.

i've checked that the guest user is active and it is and i've checked everything i can think of, but can't find out what the hell is going on.

anyone with any suggestions, please, please let me know.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 AM
zeebert Offline
In Windows XP SP2, when you change, create, or modify an account, instead of changing the account, a new number is applied and a new acount created/deleted/all kinds of extra garbage; so, if you try to give yourself rights to the file, it doesn't quite work.

So, you must restart in safe mode, then right click on the Folder or File you want to alter, and click Security, Advanced, add yourself, and you should be in business. Come to think of it, you probably won't even have to restart in Safe Mode if you have XP Pro.

Sorry for necromancing on my first post, but this problem is a big problem, and I had the same trouble.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 AM
matteosistisett Offline

Experiencing the very same problem, and it is 2008 already (thread started in 2006?)

I have machines A and B both identical laptops with identical Windows XP Professional.

I have a shared folder "xxx" in A and a "xxx" (same name) shared folder in B. Both are set to be shared both for reading and writing.

Both folders have lots of subfolders and files.

I daily copy files from mahcine A to B and viceversa, and I do it using the file Explorer: simetimes I do it from the source machine (i.e. open the network shared directory of the target machine and copy from local to remote), sometimes I do it from tha target machine (i.e. open the network shared directory of the source machine and copy from remote to local).
Usually work fine.

Today I found ONE file taht I couldnt copy, and gave me the access denied message which by the way is a f**** sh**** message that you can't understand if you're being denied reading or writing access.

I was copying it from machine A to machine B, doing it with file Explorer in machine B, i.e. on the target machine, taking it from the source machine through network.

Guess how I solved it????

I simply did it on machine A, i.e. opened in machine A the local folder and the remote shared folder and copied from local to remote, and the file was copied!!!

So either A didn't let B _read_ the file, or B didn't let _itself_ write a file taken from B into its own directory. However A could read its own file and write it into B.

By the way, right-click on the folder, select "security", there is NO "advanced" tab or button anywhere.
I can't find any permission settings either.

Nor in the single file/properties.

Even if there were any issue with users configurations on either machine, this is the same user doing the same things on the same folders with different files, some files can be copied some can't. so the difference can only be in the file itself.

But I can't see any information on file properties about owner, rights, permissions, etc.The only changeable file attributes are "read only" and "hidden", and the "advanced options" button in File Properties links to a page where the only available options have nothing to do with sharing: "file readi do be archived" (checked), "allow Index Server to bla bla bla"(checked), "compress file to save space on disk" (unchecked), "encrypt content to protect data" (unchecked).

This is simply ridiculous, and it is a shame that such an issue that appears in dozens of forums since 2005 up to today (without EVER a single working solution, only specific workarounds), doesn't have an article on Microsoft website.

This is NOT, I repeat it is NOT a matter of passing files from FAT to NTFS or viceversa, nor from/to Vista vs XP. I have both XP and both NTFS.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
lespaton Offline
Not a solution but a workaround...
I have had this problem also for several years with no solution in sight. But I did discover that using UNLOCKER.EXE ( Google it) I could unlock the file. Strangely, UNLOCKER says that the file is NOT LOCKED, but the simple action of accessing the file with the exe unlocks it and it can then be copied.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
jojo65 Offline
Just Fixed It

I had the same error message when trying to copy a file from my cd to my computer. i ended up disabling my McAfee virus protection, and it worked, then i enabled my virus protection, so obviously McAfee wasn't letting me copy it. hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:43 AM
DaveC2003 Offline

They are nothing but s***

Download a free copy of AVG, so much better to use without the hassle.

Windows 7 Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)