SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Missing drivers. Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 3.76 average. Display Modes

Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 AM
seney Offline

Missing drivers. Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Hello =)

I recently formatted my friend's computer and installed all the necessary drivers and such. It's just basic stuff as I'm no comptuer expert. However, when I got to the Device Manager to see if anything was missing, I saw a yellow exclamation mark next to "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". She doesn't have the CD for the drivers but the computer works just fine.
The computer is a Packard Bell iMedia M8171ADRW running Windows XP Professional (build 2600).
I used the Everest program to obtain some of the PC specs and this is what I got. (only posted what I thought was relevant).

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1700 MHz (17 x 100)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8SIML v2 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 650
BIOS Type AMI (03/14/02)

Display:
Video Adapter SiS 315 Integrated
3D Accelerator SiS 315 Integrated

I then went to the SiS website and downloaded the driver. http://www.sis.com/download/Windows XP > GPU Graphics Drivers > SiS315 series GPU.
I didn't get the chance to go over to friend's house and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Don't want to wreck the computer. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot for the help.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:41 PM
bookworm Offline
Sound Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seney
Hello =)

I recently formatted my friend's computer and installed all the necessary drivers and such. It's just basic stuff as I'm no comptuer expert. However, when I got to the Device Manager to see if anything was missing, I saw a yellow exclamation mark next to "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". She doesn't have the CD for the drivers but the computer works just fine.
The computer is a Packard Bell iMedia M8171ADRW running Windows XP Professional (build 2600).
I used the Everest program to obtain some of the PC specs and this is what I got. (only posted what I thought was relevant).

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1700 MHz (17 x 100)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8SIML v2 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 650
BIOS Type AMI (03/14/02)

Display:
Video Adapter SiS 315 Integrated
3D Accelerator SiS 315 Integrated

I then went to the SiS website and downloaded the driver. http://www.sis.com/download/Windows XP > GPU Graphics Drivers > SiS315 series GPU.
I didn't get the chance to go over to friend's house and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Don't want to wreck the computer. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot for the help.

As you know the maker of your friends system, it may be better to get all drivers from there http://www.packardbell.com.au/suppor...load.asp?CID=1

Product Category / Desktop - Model Series / iMedia - Media Series/ i Media M series

it also may be better to get this driver on disc to save, if everything seems ok then as they say " if it is'nt broken, don't fix it "

Set a System Restore Point before installing drivers just in case

Hope this helps

Barbara MCP

Friends are
Gods apology
for relations.

It's not what you know, it's who you know ( especially the members of the Software Tips&Tricks Forum )

Old 01-29-2006, 12:23 AM
seney Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm
As you know the maker of your friends system, it may be better to get all drivers from there http://www.packardbell.com.au/suppor...load.asp?CID=1

Product Category / Desktop - Model Series / iMedia - Media Series/ i Media M series

it also may be better to get this driver on disc to save, if everything seems ok then as they say " if it is'nt broken, don't fix it "

Set a System Restore Point before installing drivers just in case

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help bookworm but I wasn't sure which driver to download. The Everest results said "SiS 315 Integrated" so that's why I went to the SiS site to find a match. =)

Last edited by seney : 01-29-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:32 AM
moijn001 Offline

Hi all! I have the exact same problem thou I have Win2000.

The comlications are far greater as the best graphic settings I can get on the computer is 16 colours (not even 256!)

This isn't the only device that doesn't work either;

Ethernet controller
PCI device
Multimedia Audio Controller

I should proberbly try to find drivers for all of these things/hardware. Does anyone know what these are for and if I have to make them work to get my grafics going.

/moijn

Old 06-30-2006, 05:47 PM
bookworm Offline
Sound Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijn001
Hi all! I have the exact same problem thou I have Win2000.

The comlications are far greater as the best graphic settings I can get on the computer is 16 colours (not even 256!)

This isn't the only device that doesn't work either;

Ethernet controller
PCI device
Multimedia Audio Controller

I should proberbly try to find drivers for all of these things/hardware. Does anyone know what these are for and if I have to make them work to get my grafics going.

/moijn

Do you have the same model of comp, what's not working, have you got sound, give a little more information please. Make and model of comp.

Hope this helps

Barbara MCP

Friends are
Gods apology
for relations.

It's not what you know, it's who you know ( especially the members of the Software Tips&Tricks Forum )

Old 08-04-2006, 12:36 AM
techyadu Offline

I also have similar kind of a problem.
I am having Pentium 4 processor,Windows Xp OS.
Motherboard is Intel original 845GLLY model as i on-board display got a problem i was suggested to use PCI VGA card .
Now I am using PCI VGA card ,maker intex techonologies (www.intextechnologies.com)

i have installed the drivers the maker has provided even though the excamalation mark is still shown on Video Controller (VGA Comaptible)
Can somebody help me to sort out this.

Last edited by techyadu : 08-04-2006 at 01:32 AM.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:07 PM
bookworm Offline
Sound Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by techyadu
I also have similar kind of a problem.
I am having Pentium 4 processor,Windows Xp OS.
Motherboard is Intel original 845GLLY model as i on-board display got a problem i was suggested to use PCI VGA card .
Now I am using PCI VGA card ,maker intex techonologies (www.intextechnologies.com)

i have installed the drivers the maker has provided even though the excamalation mark is still shown on Video Controller (VGA Comaptible)
Can somebody help me to sort out this.

Set System Restore Point before installing driver just in case

This is your Intel board http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...4&submit=Go%21

these are onboard drivers, you don't say if you have tried to install them, I'm not sure if when you installed the graphics card it would have disabled the onboard, most do. Intels advice is to Install No:7 the INF chipset before installing any other drivers. It does give a Intergrated Video driver, No:3 . perhaps a way to go would be to remove the graphis card and try to install the onboard to correct the original problem.

Hope this helps

Barbara MCP

Friends are
Gods apology
for relations.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Islandboy Offline

Missing SiS 315 Driver

Hi bookworm,

I have the same issue as Seney. I followed seney's link and downloaded the SiS 315 file and executed setup only to rec the msg that it couldn't find a suitable driver and autocancelled the set up.

I have downloaded from the sony site the driver indicated for this system and each time i install it says "this driver has never been installed on this computer do you wish to continue" - each time i say yes, and after reboot, i'm still left with no driver for this VGA card.

Please help

Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 PM
B RoCkS1010 Offline

ok I have the same problem with video controller (VGA Compatible),Video controller, and SM Bus Controller. can anyone help me find the drivers?

Old 10-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Kevin_gibson Offline

Quote:

Although this information can be OK, not all Imedias have the same sound, video drivers etc etc.

When you go to pbs website, there should be a support option.

Pop in your serial number, this should find the right model and right drivers for your specific machine.

A lot of Packard Bell machines built for the UK range have a program called Smart Restore, use this also to reinstall the drivers.

I'm not sure if this program is available on a US or other country range.

Last edited by Kevin_gibson : 10-03-2006 at 05:57 AM.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Kevin_gibson Offline

B RoCkS1010,

Hi, people can help you, you just need to reply with your PC specficiations, make, model etc.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
B RoCkS1010 Offline

How can I get that information though?

Old 10-05-2006, 03:05 PM
B RoCkS1010 Offline

can someone please tell me how to get the information I need so that someone can help me?

Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 PM
B RoCkS1010 Offline

Once again, can someone please tell me how to get the information I need so that someone can help me?

Old 11-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Face.Head Offline

Exclamation VGA Issue

I just purchased a new motherboard and processor. I have everything set up, and everything works except I needed to install my new video card driver.
Whenever I insert the disc, a notifcation comes up saying it's not one of their products. So now everything on my screen is giant, and I cannot run games which require the card. Whenever I boot it says it's found the VGA Controller, but it can't find the driver for it when it automatically tries. I tried running the driver from disc, and then I tried going to the site for updates - None of those options have worked. So now in my device manager it just gives the the yellow exclamation mark next to the VGA controller.

Motherboard - ABIT Fatal1ty AN9 32X
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+
Video Card - Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE